Chapter 32 - Charlotte

Chapter Thirty-Two

Charlotte

I woke up to the musty smell of mold and mildew. My thoughts were foggy, and I could vaguely hear my own soft groans. As I grew more conscious, the throbbing pain in my head increased. I bit back the urge to scream. Swallowing hard, I forced my eyes open.

Nothing but darkness.

Panicking, I started to wiggle in the chair but I was restrained. My arms were tightly secured to the armrests, and there was something wrapped around my waist and legs.

Where was I? What happened?

Suddenly, it came back to me, and my body grew cold with dread.

Mack.

Panic surged through me, and I fought desperately against the restraints to no avail.

I tried to look around again but I couldn't see anything. Dear God, why couldn't I see! Thoughts of blindness brought me close to tears, but then, thankfully, I saw a small crack of light further in the distance. It must have been the bottom of a door.

I had to get to that door - I had to get out of here!

I tried jumping in the chair to get it to move forward. It didn't budge. I tried again. Nothing. I squeezed my eyes shut in desperation.

Think. Think. Think!

And that was when I felt it - my phone. Well, not my phone but the one Karla gave me. It was in the back pocket of my jeans. Thank God Mack was not smart enough to search me and get rid of it! Now all I had to do was find a way to get it.

Easier said than done.

I pulled hard against the restraints around my arms. The coarse material dug into my skin, and I clenched my teeth in defiance. Ignoring the pain, I wrestled harder and harder until I could feel my arms dampen with blood.

I stopped to catch my breath but instead cried out as burning pain engulfed my senses. I bit down on my lip to silence myself. Beyond the sound of my laboured breaths, I could hear the soft patter of blood drops falling from my arms and down to the floor.

It was useless - the ropes were too tight.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I let out a ragged breath. Was this really happening to me? Had I not been through enough already? All my life I stood up tall and pushed through all the pain, the hurt, the abuse and neglect, and for what? To end here? To die before I could reach all those goals I had fought so hard to get to.

No - I couldn't let that happen. I had to get out of here. I had to find a way to save myself.

Just then, the sound of chains rattling beyond the door caused my heart to still. My blood ran cold, and I frantically looked around for something - anything, but all I could see was darkness.

The door creaked open, and light spread through the room. I blinked against the brightness. It took my eyes a few moments to adjust to the light, but when they did, my vision was blurry.

I could vaguely make out the silhouette of a tall, male figure with brown hair as he strode causally into the room. He was carrying something box-shaped in his arms, and I squinted in a desperate attempt to get a better look.