6. Julia

May 2018

She woke up the next morning, a sense of relief burned in her chest. She could do this, she could escape. She knew she was clever enough she just needed to plan it and make sure everything would be perfect.

He was still asleep. It was dark in the room but she could make out the outline of his head, a perfect target if she ever had to hurt him.

She pushed the cover off herself and slid down the bed, she walked around the bed and turned on the lamp. She froze when he stirred but thankfully he stayed asleep. She pulled out the blue dress he said looked cute on her and brushed her hair out with her fingers. She left the dirty pj's beside the door and turned on the lights for the kitchen. She rushed to the side of the bed and turned off the lamp. She eyed Muse for a moment before she went back to the kitchen.

She opened the mini fridge and pulled out a packet of bacon and the small stick of butter he had in there. She pulled out the milk and placed them on the counter. She pulled a pan out of a cupboard and got to work on making scrambled eggs and bacon on toast.

It was about half way done when she heard him get up, she tried to ignore the nerves bubbling in her stomach as his footsteps became closer until he was standing right behind her. His arms wrapped around her waist, he pressed his chest to her back and kissed her neck in an adoring way. It made shivers run up her spine.

"Good morning," his voice was husky.

"Morning," she forced herself to lean back into him.

"Why are you making breakfast? I usually am the one to do that."

"I just felt like it, you always make it."

"I didn't mind making you breakfast," he kissed her neck once more.

"Well I am your wife and that is my job," she argued, she felt him pull back slightly, he spun her around. He stared into her eyes for a moment, she felt her skin crawl. His eyes seemed to hold no emotion, she didn't know him well enough to tell what he was thinking.

After a moment he bent down and pressed his lips to her forehead and allowed her to go back to making breakfast.

"I'm going to get changed, I'll be back in a few," she felt him pull away. A moment later she heard the door open and shut. Her shoulders dropped in relief. A few minutes without him were golden as long as he wasn't gone too long, she needed some sort of human contact and she really needed him to keep bringing food.

The door opened again as Julia finished placing the plates on the table along with the bendy plastic forks he hated.

"It smells great," he smiled while he ran his fingers through his hair. He was wearing his usual pair of jeans and a white shirt with a flannel. His brown hair that reached his shoulders was clean, grease-free, and brushed. Muse was well groomed for a man who liked to keep people locked in his cellar.

"I hope you like it," she smiled.

"I think I will," he smiled back. He came and stood beside her as she filled two glasses with milk, the only thing that had some nutritional value.

"I haven't made anything since I left my last foster family."

"How long ago did you leave?" she saw him cock his head slightly.

"About a year and a half ago," Julia brushed a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"And where did you go when you left, I know you weren't living alone when I came to take you."

She sighed, "I was living with my friend Andrea, I met her through mutual friends and when I was leaving my foster home she was looking for a roommate so I just took the offer." She set the milk on the table.