Chapter 22

[3rd Person POV]

"...."

"Aree~? Is that anyway to greet your student? I know I've been gone for a couple days, but that-"

Y/N was cut off by Kirisu suddenly grabbing his arm.

There was a moment of silence between, Y/N being too stunned to react, and Kirisu mustering up her courage as to not embarrass herself in front of him.

"Finally, you've decided to show yourself! I've been trying to call you for days, why haven't you answered?!"
She scolded the boy

"Ah-hahaha...you might have to forgive me for that, I was on a top-secret mission, so I can't really spill anything about it!"

This made the teacher furrow her eyebrows furrher, a gesture Y/N found to be adorable, even in their current situation.

She was always so endearing and adorable in so many ways...

It brought the tiniest amount of life in Y/N's eyes, just enough to let him feel some hesitation.

His hand rested on his back, clenching it into a fist with his thumb inside said fist to pour all his nervousness into.

"Ignoring your little lie there, I have something that I think is of interest to you."

"Hm?"
Y/N tilted his head slightly to the side.

"It's at the school, come on."

Kirisu led the way, and her hand had moved it's way to his hand, he could feel the warmth of it resonating on his palm, and throughout his fingers...

... it's so calming that it makes him want to cry, but he pushes the feeling back.

The more he draws it on, the more he loses resolve to do so.

He needed to push her away, for her own safety, but is that really it, he wonders?

They've always been together through everything, even when she got herself napped by the expelled students.

Everything always ended in their favor, Y/N was always able to protect her, both of them protected each other.

But why now...?

Of course, he wants her to be safe more than anything, but it's not like they're in any troublem

They weren't in danger, nobody's threatening their peace...

...nobody but Y/N himself.

Ever since he saw her with Yuiga...laughing like she would with him, everything around Y/N seemed to shatter.

He isn't doing this to protect her, to make her happy, or any positive reason...

...he's doing this because he was jealous, and he still is.

There's no righteous reason as to why he's doing this, no matter how much he lies to himself.

He can repeat in his head that he wanted to only protect her, but the truth isn't ever gonna change.

He got hurt, and he wants to stay as far away as possible.

It's selfish, childish, ridiculous even, that a simple thing was able to cause such an effect.

And deep inside Y/N, he knew that.

That's the worst part.

Y/N bit his lip and held back Kirisu's hands, while the teacher didn't seem to notice it, Y/N kept looking at her back to see if she would react.