Uneasy alliance

A mage is a learned person from the Eyrie who has their elemental powers taken away from them when they tie their Knots of Magehood and take their Vows of Nuwa. The Eyrie is a place of knowledge found in the highest and most desolate mountain in Oceanus, Mount Astute. The Earthly myth of the goddess Nuwa is based of the Vows of Nuwa. The vows strictly say that a mage must protect the barrier of Zenith and the Cosmic. No man, woman or child from Zenith may know about the Cosmic unless they are a guardian or a mage. No man, woman or child from the Cosmic may know about Zenith unless they are a guardian or a mage.

In Earthly mythology, Nuwa was the guardian of heaven and earth and protector of man. When the world pillar shattered, she forged the six stones - one from each force of nature. (Air, water, light, earth, fire, darkness). The stones were used to seal the barrier between heaven and earth.

The truth is that Nuwa was a fundamental - a person who could practice all six elemental magics - and she was the first fundamental. When the horsemen grew unruly, Nuwa turned to her most trusted mages and gave them her powers. They became the first six guardians but the violence was too great. Mages took a vow of non-violence but they also made the Vow of Nuwa - to protect the barrier.

"What's the Knots of Magelihood," Raquel asked.

"It's Magehood," Lau replied. "It's three knots in our robes after certain phases in our education. The knot of silent knowledge, the knot of pacifism and knot of chastity."

Phoenix sniggered next to Onyx. "So you're a eunuch?" Lau turned away from them when they laughed lightly. "Are you?"

The thud at the door froze them all and they turned to see Aria laughing with the darkness guardian. "You okay," Aria asked she continued laughing. Marie nodded as she stood up, laughing. Quinn's face fell at the sight of them. "You sure?"

"I'm fine, Aria," she replied with a chuckle.

They stumbled into the dining room giggling, ignoring the judgemental stare from Quinn. The water user sized up the darkness user next her before shifting further away subtly.

Aria didn't see any of it as she was forcefully smiling at Lau. "So," she began slowly and skeptically when she shook off her daze, "this is Onyx, Phoenix, Raquel, Lau and Quinn." The darkness user parted her lips uncomfortable with a small nod. "Guys this is... Marie..." Quinn scoff her disgust "... Marie Bowen."

Raquel and Phoenix froze while Quinn ignored everyone in the room sourly. Onyx stopped eating his muesli slowly as he took in the uncomfortable atmosphere. "Oh, that Bowen," he stated.

Marie turned to Aria awkwardly - who was buttering toast. She nudged the air user mutely and gestured to the rest of the table. "Guys," Aria stated defeatedly. "Not today. Please."

Onyx dropped his spoon with an exasperated rasp. "She's Kelly Bowen's kid!" Marie and Aria exchanged concerned looks and Aria changed to Onyx with a subtle head shake. "The Kelly Bowen! The man who tried to help the Cosmic destroy Dracaena? He's your dad?"

Marie lowered her head ruefully as she nodded mutely. Quinn read the newspaper silently as she sipped her coffee while Raquel and Phoenix avoided Aria's eye contact. Lau shifted before leaving the room politely.

Aria exhaled as she turned to Marie slowly. "Hey," she called softly. "You want to try something awesome?" The darkness user nodded as she stood up in a great hurry. "Come with me."

They left the room and the awkwardness left with them. "Good riddance to bad rubbish," Quinn stated and Raquel let out a sharp gasp. "What is it, Rocky?"

"You of all people should understand her," the earth guardian reprimanded. "You know what it's like to be under scrutiny for your parents' actions!" The brainy blonde shrugged nonchalantly. "By my lucky stars! You're going let someone you can relate to, suffer 'cause of your feud with Aria? What the stars, Quinn?"