The new Asterism

According to astronomers, an asterism is a prominent pattern or group of stars. Typically it has a popular name but it's smaller than a constellation. According to Operus - an ancient mage of Oceanus - an asterism is a group of realms. The realms typically share a common name such as the 'Cosmic' or the 'Delegation of the Six Cities of Zenith'. Of course, the latter was shortened to just 'Zenith' and its circle of monarchs became the Delegation of the Six Cities.

Shade-Marie was creeping around the dark with the whip of darkness in her hand. Hissing filled air and she let out a soft moan, as she touched the wound on her arm. "You're not focusing," her mother roared in a whisper. Exhaling angrily, the guardian caved and entered her void-walking state. Bright yellow eyes struck at her but they went black at the sound of the whip. "Good," her mother purred. "The spume and the aileron won't know what hit them." The whip lashed again and the guardian grunted as she struck her mother. The shadowy woman roared.

"Quinn and Aria!" Light slowly filled the room and a lengthy snake's head was lifelessly laying at Shade-Marie's feet. "They're my friends and I won't hurt them. Not every water and air elemental wants us locked on Terra, until we go extinct."

Austeros sighed as he hovered closer to the feuding family. "Enough," he snapped. "Everything from your asterism stays back in your asterism. This is life and death! You and five other adolescents are protecting two asterisms against the four horsemen and Apocalypse. You do not have time for bigotry; nor pettiness; nor familial distractions." He turned to the other shady silhouette. "You've been marked by Death, Evelyn. You threaten my apprentice's element of surprise and that of the other guardians."

Evelyn sneered sourly. "What are you saying? You want to take me away from the only family I have left? The only family she has left? My own daughter! How dare you even-"

"Hold you deceptive tongue," Austeros cut in. "I know a cunning shadow attuned when I see them." He turned from her to the guardian. "Evelyn has allied herself with Death," he stated and Shade-Marie was left stunned. "At first I thought this form is different in your asterism. After consulting the 'Bifucation of the Asterisms' tome, however, I have concluded that she is in allegiance with our enemies."

An uncomfortable silence filled the room and the girl exhaled shakily. She shook her head as her mother mutely modeled out of the room. "I know," she replied. "The Vilamora communicates with the dead. That's where it they learned most of their magic."

"What's that on your shoulder?" The guardian covered her brand with a sigh. "This 'Vilamora'," Austeros went on, "you are an associate?" She closed her eyes as he removed her hand to take in the flame and star branded to her shoulder. "Or a prisoner?"

"A nameless."

The misty figure beckoned her to follow her through the palace and outside into the city. "Have seen any of Gothen?" Before she could reply, the dark city came into view. "Gothen was built here because there is never sunlight. That's how we keep our powers optimal." He paused for her to breath in the dim lights of the city. "Do you know why we look the way we look? Why all darkness attuned have pale skin and dark hair and narrow eyes."

"The first darkness users were Asians," she replied as they sat under a gazebo. "It's genetics."

"The history of darkness' origin is murky in your asterism. Here, we came straight from Death herself. She wanted an army to counter that of the guardians. Our eyes are narrow because we could not handle light of life. Our hair is dark to show her hold on us. Our skin is pale because we have no life inside us. Take caution, Shade-Marie, the darkness guardian is the most susceptible to Death's puppeteering. As your powers grow, the shield that protects you from her weakens. You become more like her with every starrise."