The Proposition

"So what do you think?" Riley asked Liam as they sat outside on a table in the quad.

Riley took a deep breath.  Riley had come to him with the proposition about a week ago.  Both eighteen, with graduation around the corner, it was too much for Liam but he'd given it much thought.

"Three years?"

"That seems good right, I'll be starting my last year of college so that wouldn't be so bad.  I could handle both.I know you still plan on going into the military and all that but it seems okay doesn't it?"

"And you can't wait another year?"

"I'd kind of rather not.  I don't want to be older, Liam.  It just feels right at that age."

"And what if I meet someone during that time?"

Riley shrugged, "I could easily find someone else I would think but Liam, I want it to be you."

Liam nodded.  He did know.  They had grown up together since they were kids.  They had tried to date their freshman and sophomore years of high school and while it was great it just didn't suit them so they both agreed they were better off as friends.

"And I wouldn't have to be involved?  You're not going to come after me for child support or anything like that?"

"Come on you know I wouldn't do that and no you wouldn't have to be involved.  I just don't want to have to wait that long for Mr. Right to come along.  I've always wanted to be a mom and the idea of having a baby when I'm twenty two seems like the perfect time."

Again Liam nodded.  "I can't believe I'm agreeing to this but you're my best friend, I wouldn't do it for anyone else.  I'm surprised I'm even going to do it at all."

"So that's a yes?"

Liam smiled, "Yes, I'll do it."

Riley smiled back and hugged him tightly.  "Thank you," she whispered to him.  When they pulled away Riley looked at him, "if it's okay, I'd like to make the appointment for tomorrow."

"Sure tomorrow sounds great."

"What sounds great," Evelynn asked. 

She was another person who'd grown up with Liam and Riley.  It had always been the three of them.

"Just making graduation plans," said Riley, lying to her which she never did but now she didn't want anyone to know let alone her best friend.

"Well too late," said Eve, "I've already made plans.  We're throwing a graduation party at my parents beach house."

"Seriously?" Riley and Liam said at the same time.

"Yes, seriously.  My parents have already agreed to it."

"Great," said Riley.

"Sounds perfect," said Liam.