More To The Pregnancy

A couple days later as Riley and Evelyn sad at a table after school, Riley was tapping her pen loudly.

"Okay what is it?" asked Evvie.

"There's something I should probably tell you."

"Okay."

"I met a guy."

"Seriously? Does he know you're pregnant?"

"I haven't exactly found the right time to tell him."

"Don't you think you should? I mean how long have you two been going out?"

"Since before I got pregnant."

Evelyn's eyes widened. "And you're just telling me this now?"

"Well I didn't think it would go anywhere."

"But it has?"

"Kind of, yeah."

"You need to tell him. It's not like you'll be able to keep it a secret forever."

Riley sighed. "I know."

*****

"You okay?" Riley's boyfriend, Ace asked on date night about a week later at his apartment. "I thought Italian was your favorite."

Riley smiled. "It is and babe, I love you for doing this."

"But..."

Riley took a deep breath. "Okay I'm just going to say it because I have to. A, I'm pregnant."

Ace sat there for a few minutes until he finally spoke. Preg...pregnant? How, I mean we haven't even slept together."

"I know and believe me right now this is the last thing I wanted. I wasn't even sure I wanted a relationship but then you happened and it got to be too hard. I am sorry. I know I should've told you sooner."

"Yeah you should've. Is the um...is the baby's father in the picture?"

"That's where it gets kind of complicated."

"It's already complicated don't you think? I mean just be honest with me."

"Okay. Four years ago in high school a guy and I made this pact that if I wasn't in a relationship that he would...he would be my sperm donor. I didn't want to wait till I was older to be a mom. It's something I've always wanted. Look I get it if you hate me and don't want to be with me. I mean being in a relationship wasn't exactly what I was expecting right now."

Ace remained silent for another few minutes.

"You said the baby's father isn't in the picture?"

"That's right. One of the conditions was that he has no parental rights. He was just the donor that's all."

Ace nodded. "Then I don't care."

"What?"

"I don't care. Look I never thought I would find the love of my life at twenty-four. I wasn't looking but then I saw you and I just knew. You're the one I want to be with and if you've got a baby growing inside of you, knowing that's what you want, I'm okay with that."

"Seriously?"

Ace smiled and took Riley by the waist. "Absolutely. I love you and nothing can change that."

Riley smiled for the first time. "So I'm the love of your life?"

Ace just smiled. He looked at Riley's belly.

"May I?" he asked.

Riley nodded. Keeping one hand on her waist, with his right he touched her belly. He looked up and smiled.

"Wow there's an actual baby inside you."

"Weird right? To think a human can grow another human."

"Yeah kind of weird but beautiful. You're beautiful."

The two smiled and leaned into each other for a kiss that lasted a bit longer than they intended.

"For the record," said Riley, "I love you too."

"Good because you're not going to push me away."

They placed their foreheads together.