Our Babies

Riley knew this was stupid.   At thirteen weeks she knew she should've been to a doctor about a month ago.   She was just having a hard time accepting it even though it had been her idea.

Evie squeezed her hand.  "Hey," she said,  "it's going to be okay. "

"No I know,  I'm just a bit nervous."

"Which is okay. "

"I'm surprised you didn't ask Ace to come."

"He understands why.  Besides we're going through this together right?  I mean after all you're going right after me since you are eight weeks."

"This is too weird."

"Tell me about it."

The two remained silent until finally the nurse called her in.   "Riley Wheeler."

Evie followed.   The nurse ran the typical check: blood pressure,  temperature,  height,  and even weight which Riley felt embarrassed about.

They were then sent to a room.   It didn't take long for the doctor to arrive.   A male doctor which made Riley nervous.  She didn't want him to eventually look up her vagina.

"You must be Riley," he said, "I'm doctor Ross."

"No offense," said Riley,  "but do you think I could get a female doctor?"

Dr. Ross nodded,  "I'm sure that could be arranged but you'd have to wait another couple of weeks.  Dr. Stevens is all booked as well as Dr. Davis."

Evie tapped Riley's shoulder.   "Come on,  we're already here."

"Fine."

"And you are?"

"Evelyn Adams."

"Ah my next patient.   So I take it you two know each other."

"Best friends," said Evie.

"Well imagine that."

Evie looked at Riley.  "Come on."

Riley nodded.   "Fine."

"Don't worry," said Dr. Ross, "I'm one of the best OBGYN's in the city."

"See," said Evie, "you're in good hands.

Again Riley nodded.

Dr. Ross went through his exam and then came to the final part where he got the ultrasound.  He ran the wand over her belly.

"See there," he said pointing to a couple of little worm looking things.   "Those are your babies."

Riley's eyes widened.  "I'm sorry did you say 'babies' as in plural?"

"Yes," said Dr. Ross,  "you're carrying twins."

"Son of a bitch," said Evie.

Riley was too shocked to say anything.

Dr. Ross went over some instructions but Riley was still in a haze to comprehend what he was saying.

Twins.

Riley had to shake it off.  Now was her turn to be there for Evie.

*****

Evie's appointment ran smoothly.   Unlike Riley, she was only pregnant with one.

*****

Later in the afternoon the girls found Liam and Ace in the quad.

Liam smiled.   "Rye, hey," he said to her.   "Ace and I just met.   Pretty cool hu?"

Riley smacked Liam on the back of the head like she or Evie did when they got annoyed or mad at him.

"Hey!" said Liam.

"You idiot!"

"What'd I do?"

Riley touched her belly with both hands.  "There are two in here!"

"You're kidding," said Ace.

Liam took a second.   "Uh, how does that happen?"

Evie looked at him.   "Generics dumbass!"

Riley took a deep breath.  "Were there any twins in your family?"

"Uh...um...yeah, yeah, my grand dad on my dad's side."

Riley took a  seat.  "Fuck.  You didn't think to tell me?  You know my mom has a twin sister."

"Hey, how was I know this would happen?"

"If this had been the case I wouldn't have gone through with it.  I was expecting one, not two."  Riley looked at Evie, "wanna trade places?"

Evie laughed, Sorry girl,  you're on your own on this one."

Riley looked down.  

Ace took her hand, "babe, it's going to be okay.  You know maybe this will be a good thing."

Riley looked at him, "How?"

"Well think of it as a blessing.  They'll each have a sibling so they won't be alone."

"I was hoping to have a baby with you some day."

Ace smiled,  "And we will,  I promise."

"You'd really be okay with having another kid?"

"Of course.  I already view these babies as my own.  It'll be okay,  I promise."

"He's right," said Evie, "besides you're not alone here.  You've got the three of us."

Riley smiled and nodded.

*****

A couple days later Riley came home to her apartment to see Evie on the couch crying.  She had given her a key.

"Hey," said Riley, "What's going on?"

"Cade broke up with me."

Riley quickly went over and sat beside her.

"Seriously?"

Evie nodded.  "I went over to the frat house.  We went up to his room.  He wanted to... but I told him I was pregnant.  He wigged out.   Said he didn't want to be a dad, that he'd never even wanted kids,  told me we didn't even know each other that well so he didn't want to be that guy that knocked some chick up.  Damn it, I don't even know why I care!"

"I'm pretty sure it's part of our natural instincts to care. You know what, screw him.   We're going through this together remember?"

Evie nodded. 

Riley placed a hand on her knee.

"You know what you need?"

"What's that?"

"Hot chocolate and mint ice cream," Riley said as she got up and headed towards the kitchen.

"Seriously summer isn't even over for a couple of weeks."

"I don't care.  I'm craving both and since I'm carrying two that means double the cravings."

Evie got up and followed.   "Fine, no to the hot chocolate but yes to the ice cream.   Hey do we have any pickles?"

Riley laughed,  "You're such a cliche."