Pregnant

3 years later, at age twenty-two, by the start of May, Riley sat in the exam room.  

When the doctor came in he smiled, "You ready to do this?" he asked.

Riley shook her head and smiled, "I've been waiting for this for four years."

"Then let's get started."

*****

Two months later Evelynn was pacing in the off campus, first floor, apartment that she and Riley had shared.  They had gotten into the same college after high school and were in the same major, English.  They had both wanted to go into editing.

"Hey," Riley said when she walked in.

Eve stopped and looked at Riley.  "Okay now you're probably going to freak out because I'm freaking out but there's something I need to tell you."

Riley placed her bag down on the floor near the couch and then took a seat.  In the past few months she had put on a little weight.  It didn't bother her though.  

"What's going on?"

"Okay I'm just going to come out and say it.  So here's the deal, I'm uh...I'm...I'm pregnant."

Riley sat there frozen for a moment.  "Uh, wow.  Congratulations?"

Eve took a seat on the couch next to Riley and placed her face in her hands.

"Damn it how could I have been so stupid?"  She looked up but not at Riley.  "It was just our first time.  You know I've been seeing that guy, Cade, right?"

"Yeah, you've only been going out for a couple of weeks."

"Yeah, a couple as in two.  Well on that second week it was...it was our first time.  It was my first time."

"So how far a long are you?"

"Eight weeks."

"Oh."

"Damn it, I just had to get pregnant the night I lost my virginity."

"You guys didn't use a condom?"

"It kind of happened in the moment you know so we didn't even think to use one."

"Eve come on."

"I know, I know."

"So have you told him?"

"Of course I haven't."

"Don't you think you should?"

Eve nodded.  She then looked over at Riley.  

"You're laughing, this isn't funny."

"I'm not laughing."

"You totally are!"

"I don't mean to it's just that I should probably tell you that I'm pregnant too."

"No way!"

Riley touched her belly, "come on you don't really think all of this weight is by accident do you?  I'm sorry I just, I hadn't found the right time to tell you."

"How far along are you then?"

"Twelve weeks."

"Woah.  So our babies are going to be a month apart."

"Yeah."

"Well what about the guy, I'm guessing he knows?"

Riley stood up and went to the kitchen for a glass of water.  Eve followed.

"Not exactly."

"What do you mean not exactly?"

"I didn't get pregnant the way you did."

"What, did you get abducted by aliens or something?"

"No."  Riley turned to face Eve.  "I went through IVF treatments.  I just didn't want to wait around for the right guy, I mean who knows how long that could've been."

"So you were okay with having a baby at twenty-two, just before we got out of college?  That's real smart."

Riley shook her head.  She had many reasons for doing it now but they weren't worth getting into.

"I should probably tell you that the baby is Liam's."

"Liam's?  As in our Liam's?

"The very one.  We made this pact our senior year of high school.  We were talking about kids and then I asked if he wouldn't mind doing this.  I didn't want it to be a strangers."

"So then he knows."

"Yeah."

"And is he going to be involved?"

"I told him not to be.  He's still apart of our lives, I know that but he doesn't have to be involved as their father."

"Damn, and here I thought my situation was complicated."

"So you're keeping your baby?"

Eve nodded, "I am.  I've never been one for abortions even though I'm pro-choice and all that.  I just can't picture my life without it now, you know."

Riley nodded too.

This time Eve laughed. "Can you believe this, just when we share everything else together now we're practically going to be sharing a due date."

Riley laughed as well.  "Guess this means we're going to have to get a bigger place unless we each decide to get our own."

"Oh hell no.  If I'm going through this then so are you, we're doing this together."

"What about, Cade?  I mean if he wants to be involved what if you get your own place together?"

"Then he'll move in here too."

Riley just shook her head.  They could figure out all the logistics later.  In the meantime it was time they started looking for a bigger apartment.