A Broken Heart

"I wouldn't," Ace said to Evie

Evie, who was now seventeen weeks pregnant. She wasn't as big as Riley but her belly was really starting to show its self. Then she wasn't the one carrying twins.

Riley passed Ace and opened the door to the office slash library. The thing about Ace was that because he was loaded, his father with an inheritance because his father owned several high end resorts and touring companies plus Ace's parents being both lawyers, they were able to get a home that was a nine bedroom, seven bath, along with two living rooms and two offices with enough space for over seven book cases and a couch. The house was at the most high end part of town.

Evie found her best friend sitting on the couch in the blue room, what they called one of the offices.

Riley wiped away a couple of tears with a tissue. She was now twenty-three weeks. Her belly continued to grow every week at a fast rate.

"Now's not a good time, Evie."

Evie walked over and took a seat on the love seat across from her.

They sat in silence for a moment until Riley stated, "They're gone. They left without saying goodbye. I went to the hotel this morning where they were staying at and they weren't there."

"Oh, sweetie," Evie said as she took Riley's hand.

"After that first dinner I was hoping I wouldn't care what my dad said."

"They're your parents, how could you not care?" Evie nodded to an envelope on the couch. "What's that?"

Not saying anything, Riley handed her the envelope. Evie took out the paper that was inside and read the letter:

Rye,

I wish I could tell you the right things. I think you know it doesn't work that way. I know you're probably wanting to hear the words you want to hear but it wouldn't be fair to lie.

Someday I hope your dad comes around but you know how it is. The fact that you went against the life he wanted for you breaks his heart. He didn't want to be a grand dad just yet though I know that's not up to him. I can't change his mind but you know that. We've never been able to do so. It's just who he is.

As for me, well it isn't easy. I have a responsibility to my job.

I'm sure Ace is a great guy but sometimes that's not enough. You're too young for this. For years I remember saying you would wait until you were much older to get married and that you never even wanted to have a baby and now you're having two. I guess I just don't understand and maybe now it's just not my place not to know.

All I can do is wish you the best. It just has to be without us.

Maybe someday.

- Mom

*****

Evie placed the letter back in the envelope.

Riley wiped away more tears. "Not so much as even a 'love mom,' just 'mom.' I don't even know why she wrote that stupid thing in the first place. She's right though."

"About what?"

"Everything. I said I would wait until marriage and that I never wanted kids and now look at me," Riley said motioning to her large belly. "God damn it! What the hell was I thinking?"

"So you changed your mind, that's not a bad thing."

"What if I made a mistake."

"Hey, don't think that way." Evie placed a hand on Riley's belly. "This is not a mistake. This is a blessing. Then to have two is extra special. Besides," she said as she placed her other hand on her own belly, "who else am I going to go through this with?"

Riley laughed. She had a point. It happened to be a funny coincidence that that they were pregnant together but she wouldn't have had it any other way. They'd been best friends since they were kids and now were expecting together. Maybe this was their destiny, to continue doing things together just like a set of twins would.

Then something hit her. She brushed it off though.

"Hey," Evie said, "screw them. You're not going through this alone. You've got Ace, Liam, and most importantly you've got me. All of us are in this to together, no matter what."

Riley nodded. "Together, " she repeated.

She placed her hands on the sides of her belly since Evie still had hers on top. She then looked up at her best friend and smiled with tears in her eyes.

Evie did the same, tears in her eyes as well.

They would all be okay.