Hydra [5]

I made my way towards the joint lab, my latest discovery in hand

I made my way towards the joint lab, my latest discovery in hand. Tony was right. He was right about everything. The Tesseract, SHIELD's secrets, how the "unlimited energy for the world" talk was nothing but talk. I heard voices floating in the air as I approached the doorway. "What is Phase Two?" I heard a smug Tony ask Fury, his monitor pulled up towards the man, who looked utterly pissed.

I dropped my recently discovered gun on the table with a bang, grabbing everyone's attention while I glared at Fury. "Phase Two is S.H.I.E.L.D. uses the Cube to make weapons," I announced, looking at Tony. He nodded his head with a confident smile, and I briefly returned it before scowling at Fury again. "Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow for me."

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract," Fury supplied feebly. "This does not mean-"

"I'm sorry, Nick," Tony cut him off, causing the angry man to turn his head quickly in the shorter man's direction. He turned the screen, a smirk on his lips as he glanced between me and the director. "What were you lying?"

"I was wrong, Director," I said, trying to keep my voice as even as possible. "The world hasn't changed a bit."

"Did you know about this?" Banner asked as Romanoff and Thor entered the room.

"You want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" she asked, her tone having a stinging bite to it. I raised an eyebrow, glancing at Tony, who's eyes were narrowed on the strangely calm woman.

Banner laughed humorlessly. "I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

She took a step towards him. "Loki is manipulating you-"

"And you've been doing what, exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." She took another step towards him as he took a step back, towards the screen that still had weapon plans pulled up on it.

"Yes, and I'm not leaving 'cause suddenly you get a little twitchy." He pulled the screen towards him, studying the blueprints displayed on the opaque screen. I felt Tony join me at my side, turning his head to look at the screen better. "I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction." He looked between all of us, and I raised an eyebrow at Fury, repeating the question.

The director took in a deep breath, knowing he was cornered. "Because of him," he finally admitted, pointing towards Thor.

Thor looked confused, finally joining in the conversation. "Me?"

I felt Tony take in a deep breath from beside me. I looked at him as he straightened his back. He only glanced at me before returning his eyes to Thor.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town," Fury reminded us. I nodded my head, remembering the files. "We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned."