The Team [7]

More Chitauri crawled towards us and I raised my shield, poised to throw it

More Chitauri crawled towards us and I raised my shield, poised to throw it. Before I let go, however, lightning crashed down on the Chitauri, and Thor landed where they once stood. I approached him, putting my shield back on my arm. "What's the story upstairs?"

"The power surrounding the cube is impenetrable," he replied quickly, holding his side slightly.

"Thor's right," Tony cut in over the comms. "We gotta deal with these guys."

"How do we do this?" Romanoff asked.

I kept my eyes towards the sky, watching a red-clad man fly between buildings. "As a team."

"I have unfinished business with Loki," Thor declared, and I spared him a glance.

"Yeah?" Barton mocked. "Get in line."

"Save it," I ordered, walking towards the archer. "Loki is going to keep this fight focused on us, and that's what we need." I looked back up towards Stark Tower, and the portal above it. "Without him these things could run wild." I turned to face my team. "We got Stark up top. He's gonna need us to..."

A loud rumble grew louder, and I turned to see a motorcycle pull up behind me. Banner slowed down and turned it off, seeming unbothered by the fire and flipped cars around him. I approached him as he got off the bike.

"So," he started, "this all seems... horrible."

"I've seen worse," Romanoff quipped from my right.

He stared at her, a light red tinting his cheeks. "Sorry."

"No, we could use a little worse," she reassured.

I smiled at the two and put my hand over my ear. "Tony. We got him."

"Banner?"

"Just like you said," I reported, nodding to Banner.

"Tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you."

Suddenly, Tony flew around a building, a large serpent following him. I swallowed a deep breath, watching as the serpent flew right on his heels and smashed a building. "I don't see how that's a party," Romanoff muttered, reading my mind. I sent her a quick smile, which seemed to boost her confidence as well as my own.

Tony flew closer to the road, causing the serpent to follow and smash cars and trees. He sped up, flying over top of us, and the serpent quickly approached. Banner turned around, heading towards it. "Doctor Banner?" He turned and looked back at me with a raised eyebrow. "Now might be a really good time for you to get angry."

He smiled sadly at me, not slowing his speed. "That's my secret, Captain." He stopped and glanced at the serpent before looking back at me. "I'm always angry." I watched in awe as he grew, his skin turning from pale to green. He punched the serpent, its face scrunching up as it slowed. Hulk let out a roar. The serpent stopped and its long body began to fly towards us.