Confessions [16]

After explaining the situation to Corporal Dell and receiving another message from Tony, I set off towards Miami

After explaining the situation to Corporal Dell and receiving another message from Tony, I set off towards Miami. Tony had explained that by the time I got there, it would be much too late, however I still took the drive. I arrived at a dock, watching as a speedboat sped towards me. A bruised Tony driving it with a passed out Pepper. As the boat came to a stop, I helped tie it down before grabbing Tony, pulling him into a long hug. He seemed to fall into my arms, burying his head into my neck and letting out a soft sigh. I tangled my fingers in his hair, my other hand on his back and gently pulling him closer to me.

"God, I was so worried," I muttered, finally pulling away. I put both hands on the sides of his face. His brown eyes stared into my blue ones, a small smile on his face and tears already in his eyes. "Don't you ever do that again."

"What? It's only the second time I died. No promises." I chuckled, and he smiled before resting his head on my chest. "I missed you," he whispered.

I wrapped my arms back around him, humming in agreement. "Let's get Pepper to the car, okay?" He hesitantly let go, stepping back as I gently lifted Pepper from the speed boat. I carried her towards the car, gently laying her in the backseat and strapping her in. I took the drivers side and Tony sat beside me in the passenger seat, and we took off towards a hotel.

Tony tapped his fingers on the side of his leg, a habit of his I learned while watching him work in his lab. He was nervous, anxious, and thinking through a problem. I placed a hand on his hand, stilling the nervous tapping. He looked at me, and I offered him a small smile. He let out a sigh and looked forward.

"My suits are a part of me," Tony said, tapping his chest, where his arc reactor was. "Physically. But, Iron Man isn't some alter-ego-type thing, Iron Man is who I am, even with all the dangers that entails. Without him, I would have been dead in those caves."

I glanced at him, his eyes focused on the road as he tried to piece words together. His face was bruised, and it would take a while for it to begin to heal. He looked like he was fighting within himself, a battle that I knew all too well.

He looked at me. "I can't get rid of the suits. They've saved me time and time again. But I can let go of this obsession a little. Tinker less, live more, you know?" He looked down at his lap, pulling my hand into it. "I can never stop tinkering, but I'm starting to think there's more to life than that."

"What happened?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. He tinkered on his suits every night, constantly improving himself, and now he was willing to throw it all away.

"I almost lost Pepper. I thought I did lose Pepper. And then I realized that could have happened to you. It could have been you in Pepper's situation. I don't want to lose you, Steve, I need you."

"You'll always have me," I whispered, gently squeezing his hand. "Always."

Tony's lips formed a small smile. "I want to start living, and that starts with getting the shrapnel out of my chest once and for all."