Nap Time [12]

My eyes drooped as I watched the president try to reassure the reporters in the crowd with promises of the Iron Patriot

My eyes drooped as I watched the president try to reassure the reporters in the crowd with promises of the Iron Patriot. I hear a chuckle from behind me and turned, seeing Tony wearing a long sleeved shirt, pulling it down as much as he could to cover his stitches. Thinking about it, they would need to be taken out soon.

"Iron Patriot," Tony said, continuing to chuckle. "How did they rope him into that?"

"It makes sense in a way." I stand, stifling a yawn as I stretch my arms up. "They're trying to catch a terrorist, they want to send a positive message, not a message of war."

Tony noticed my yawn, a sad look in his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. No one should have to deal with it alone," I said, remembering our conversation when we first got to Malibu. Tony smiled at me, somewhat tired yet grateful. I smiled back before taking his arm, inspecting it. "It looks a lot better. When do you need to get your stitches removed?"

"Could you do it tonight when I get back, if you aren't busy?" Tony asked, watching my face as I inspected his arm.

I pulled the sleeve back down over his arm. "Of course I'll take your stitches out."

"Great." He leaned forwards and I met him halfway, pressing a sweet, lingering kiss to his lips. He grabbed my hips as I cupped his face, peppering his mouth with more kisses. "Steve, I really need to go."

"Right, have fun." I pressed another kiss to his lips, letting him go. After a moment, I added, "Be careful."

Tony smiled, walking towards his basement garage, where his suit was held. "Don't worry, Cap, I can handle myself."

"I know you can," I muttered. With nothing more than a nod, Tony disappeared downstairs, and I watched as his suit flew out of the garage a few minutes later. I walked towards the couch and sat down in my previous spot, watching as a lady on a talk show continues to make light of the president's recent announcement. I chuckled as she makes fun of the name 'Iron Patriot', then scold myself in my head, remembering my alias was 'Captain America'. As the lady continued talking, I felt myself drifting off into a deep, much needed, sleep.

Pain flooded my senses as I sat at a broken down bar. The same bar where Bucky finally figured out about my... lifestyle. The same bar we were supposed to come back to, to have that talk. I drank whatever I could find, desperate to feel the buzzing bliss alcohol used to give me. I took another long swig, feeling a burn down my throat and a slight tingly feeling that was gone as soon as it came.

It had been multiple days since the incident. I had left my team in the middle of the night, desperate to come back to this bar. When I found it bombed out and broken, I had been even more heartbroken. However, I had found a bottle of liquor, and had begun drinking, not stopping until I felt even just a small buzz.

The clicking of heels grabbed my attention, but I continued to stare down at my glass, knowing exactly who it was. When it stopped, I sighed, glancing back at Peggy. I took another swig of the drink. "Doctor Erskin said that the serum wouldn't just affect my muscles, it would effect my cells. Create a... protective system of regeneration and healing, which means, uhm..." I looked back at Peggy, who held a sad look on her face. I chuckled humorlessly, shaking my head slightly as I fought back tears. "I can't get drunk." Peggy stayed quiet. "Did you know that?"