2.4

FOUR
truth unveiled

all along I believed, I would find you

I would find you.

APRIL 2014

JOSEPHINE DIDN'T REALLY KNOW WHAT TO DO. She had a passed out girl on the backseat of her car who could wake up at any time and try something. She doubted it though, but the possibility was still there. So she tried to drive as fast as she could without exceeding the speed limit, of course, she couldn't afford to get pulled over. Not with Arabella in the car. 

In any other situation, Rhodey would've been the first one she would reach out to. This time, however, instead of ringing her dad she called Tony. It was his daughter, she had to. She impatiently drummed her fingers against the wheel as the ringing continued. Just as the phone rang for the third time, he picked up.

"Hey, Jo."  Tony's voice came through the speakers of the car. "What's up?"

To say the seventeen-year-old was nervous was an understatement. She had no idea how to drop a bomb like that to the man she considered an uncle. She couldn't just go on and tell him; "Hey, your daughter, who you thought was dead, is alive and blacked out in my backseat!". She huffed and looked at the younger girl through the rear mirror.

"Hello. Earth to Josephine,"

She shakily let out a breath, stopping the car when the traffic light turned red. "Sorry," She mumbled. "Alright, uh, this is—this is going to sound crazy, okay? Just... This is serious, okay? I—I'm not lying―"

"Wow, wow! You're scaring me, kid." Tony interrupted her stuttering.

"Sorry, I just don't know how to tell you this." The light turned green and she pressed her foot over the accelerator. 

"Just spill it out," She nodded, even though she knew he couldn't see her.

"I'm in D.C. right now and, uh, I think you already know what happened to Fury―"

"Wait, what happened to him?" Josephine frowned. He didn't know? How could he not? News travel fast, especially toward the genius. Unless S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't want to share such information. She frowned, hoping Steve could find out what was going on.

"He got shot, and, uh, he—he didn't make it." Her voice lowered at the end and her eyes began to burn. She blinked rapidly. She was driving, she couldn't cry.

There was silence for a few seconds before Tony spoke again, his voice filled with sorrow. "When?"

"Midnight. I was there with Cap, they shot him from another building. We chased them but they were fast—"