𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑 - A Visit To Justice Strauss

The four children walk towards Justice Strauss' house, with smiles. Sunny reached out towards Veronica, saying "Ver...Veronica..." Veronica looked at her and smiled sweetly. "I think she wants you to hold her." Violet said, holding Sunny out to her. Veronica giggled and took Sunny into her arms, as the littlest Baudelaire cuddled against her chest. "She's taken a liking towards you." Klaus chuckled. "I can see that!" The brunette giggled, kissing Sunny's forehead lightly.

They reached the front door, and Klaus rang the doorbell. The door opened to reveal Justice Strauss, and she gave a shocked face at first and then a smile. "Baudelaire's, Veronica! I wasn't expecting to see you! And Veronica, how nice it is to see you after a while. Hope your enjoying those books you borrowed!" Justice Strauss said. Veronica sent her a smile, holding Sunny tightly in her arms. "We meant to come sooner. We've been cleaning." Violet said. "Yes, Count Olaf told me you were particular about that. I hope you appreciate how much he's doing for you four." Veronica raised her eyebrow, confused. "I...wouldn't say much." Klaus said, hesitating at first.

"Well, perhaps not compared what you're used to. What can I do for you four?" Justice Strauss replied. "Actually, Justice Strauss, me and the Baudelaire's really need your help!" Veronica said. "You do?" Veronica nodded and hummed a yes, making Sunny gurgle with a giggle. The brunette smiled at the little one as Klaus said "My sisters, Veronica and I were wondering..."

"Wondering what?" Justice Strauss asked, eagerly awaiting Klaus's question.

"If we might use your library." Klaus asked. Veronica looked up from Sunny to Justice Strauss. "If you might use my library..."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Is there any book you children are looking for, in particular?" Justice Strauss asked, as the five walked out into a beautiful garden. "A cookbook, so we can make dinner!" Violet replied cheerfully, so glad to be in a nice place that wasn't Olaf's dusty place. "I suppose anything but lam..." Veronica looked at her with a confused look. "Well, my private library is open to you whenever you'd like. It's mostly law books, but there are sections on everything from Italian cuisine to the world's most threatening fungus." Justice Strauss explained. "Told you." Veronica whispered to Klaus, making him chuckle.

Veronica smiled as Justice Strauss opened the door to her library. Veronica felt safer within Justice Strauss' home and her library, it was where she didn't have to worry about being beaten or slapped and having to worry about doing everything to one's expectation, it was where she could feel happy and comfortable. "I suppose it's not as nice as the libraries you're used to, but..." Veronica smiled softly at Justice Strauss, as Violet said "It's marvellous!"

"It's wonderful..." Klaus said in awe, making Veronica giggle at his astonished face. She could tell Klaus liked to read as much as she did, and it filled her with bliss to have the same interests with someone. Sunny made a little sound, and Veronica looked at her as Sunny was still in her arms. "That means she likes it." Violet translated.

"Well, I'm so glad! The cookbooks are over there in Section G! And right here, is my favourite table for serious research!" Justice Strauss exclaimed happily. Veronica put Sunny down on a comfortable armchair, and kneeled down to her level. "Is there a book you would like, Sunny?" Veronica asked the little one. Sunny gurgled at her, Veronica unsure of what she said. "What my sister means is she would love a picture book!" Violet smiled, holding a stack of two cookbooks. "I'll get one for you, Sunny!" Veronica said, tapping her finger on Sunny's nose slightly. Sunny laughed heartfully at her, as Veronica smiled and stood up. Veronica grabbed a small picture book and held it out to Sunny. "There you go! Enjoy!" Veronica giggled.

"A library is like an island in a vast sea of ignorance. Don't you agree?" Justice Strauss said, climbing up her little moving staircase. "I do." Klaus said in response. "Particularly if the library is tall and the surrounded area has been flooded." Veronica and Klaus said in unison. The two looked at each other with a smile and Veronica chuckled a bit. "That's a good point, you two." Justice Strauss said. "Oh, that reminds me! Veronica, look what I got installed for you!" Veronica looked at Justice Strauss to only give a shocked smile. "A fantasy section! Just for you!" Veronica laughed and hugged Justice Strauss. "Thank you, Justice Strauss! Thank you so much!" Veronica exclaimed. The brunette went and grabbed one of them, to reveal a title called 'Beauty and the Beast'. She held it close to her and sat down beside Sunny, beginning to read.

"Guys, I think I found something, Pasta Puttanesca." Violet said, looking up from the cookbook. "I wonder what that means in Italian..." Klaus wondered, raising his eyebrow. "Well, the word 'Puttanesca' comes from Italy and it translates as 'in the style of the whore'." Veronica explained. Klaus smiled at her and felt bliss at her knowledge, he was glad to know someone with the same love of his. "All we have to do is saute garlics and onions in a pot, and then add olives, capers, anchovies, diced parsley and tomatoes to simmer." Violet said, reading from the book. "We still need the pasta." Klaus mentioned, causing Veronica to look up. "There is a pasta machine in the kitchen but it looks like it needs fixing..." Veronica explained, sitting down next to Klaus. "I'm sure I can fix it, Veronica." Violet replied.

"Justice Strauss, is there a supermarket nearby?" Violet asked. "Oh no, but there is a local open air-market and gin distillery!" Justice Strauss replied. "Well, let's hop to it!" Veronica exclaimed. The others smiled at her enthusiasm and followed her suit. Sunny held her arms out to Veronica, and showing she wanted Veronica to hold her again. "You want me to hold you again, buttercup?" Veronica asked, giggling. Sunny gurgled happily at her. Veronica took her in her arms and then the children and Justice Strauss took the rickety trolley to the market.