𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗 - Log Day

As Veronica laid in her bunk, shared with Klaus, she was suddenly awoken by the sound of metal pots banging together. "Get up, lumber workers! This is your new foreman, and you've got a new shipment of logs to turn into flat wooden boards." A voice had yelled over loud speakers. She sat up, covering her ears in pain. "What is that dreadful noise?" She exclaimed to the Baudelaires. "It sounds like someone banging metal pots together." Violet responded; looking as if she hadn't slept a wink last night. The children all got up and followed workers, as Veronica tied up her hair into a ponytail. "I believe everyone has a good side, but I have to admit, our last foreman was a lot nicer." Phil told them. "What happened to your last foreman?" "He must've quit in the middle of the night. It happens a lot around here."

"Hurry up! It's log day!"

"I hate log days."

They continued to follow the workers, entering the mill and taking a look at all their surroundings. How could Charles be so sane enough to allow four children in a place like this? To use machines like that? "Now grab a debarker and start debarking!" The foreman yelled. "You too, lumber midgets." He glared at the four. They made their way over to debarker station; Klaus pulling a lever and taking one from the tray, sharing an uneasy expression with Veronica. The Bella did the same as she held Sunny in her arms.

"Crazy."

"You and me both, Buttercup."

~~~~~~~

Veronica and Klaus shared debarking the log, whilst Violet and Sunny did the same opposite the two; except for the fact that the youngest Baudelaire used her sharp teeth to carve the log. It was difficult to carve. "Lunch break, lumber slowpokes." It also didn't help from the insulting pep-talks from the brand new foreman. The four sat down on a stump of wood, Veronica holding Sunny close. "I hate log days." Klaus muttered. "Told ya!" A worker behind them said. "At least we get a break." Veronica shrugged her shoulders. "Even I'm tired of biting things." Sunny babbled as she rested her exhausted head on Veronica's shoulder. Veronica leaned her head on hers, in response, as she held the young Baudelaire close. 

"Lunch break, five minutes."

"Oh boy! Five whole minutes!" Phil smiled. The workers started to pass around a container of gum; considered to be their lunch. As the children were passed the gum, they could only stare at it with shock and distaste. "It's gum. This is gum." Violet said to the workers. "Gum isn't lunch!" Veronica slightly exclaimed. "Gum isn't even a snack!" Klaus agreed with her. "It's not very filling, but it's all they'll let you eat until dinner." Phil stated to the four. "Can we use our wages to buy some sandwiches?" Violet asked. "Lady, we're not paid in wages. We're paid in coupons." A worker spoke up. Veronica lowly scoffed; so not only did Sir allow for people, even at the age of young children, to work in a lumber mill and now he was paying all of the workers in coupons.

"I got one for twenty percent off a shampoo at Ed's Haircut Palace."

"I got a free refill of iced tea."

"I got 'Buy two banjos, get one free'. Of course, I can't buy any banjos 'cause I don't have any money. Just coupons."

"That's just horrible." The Bella mumbled. "It's not like we have a constitution." "If this place is so miserable, why don't you leave?" Klaus asked all of the workers. Then, all the workers stood up in sync and said all-together, "Lucky Smells is our life. Lucky Smells is our home." As they sat down, the Baudelaires and Veronica turned back around with the workers no longer in their sight; concerned thoughts plaguing their minds. "We need to find answers and get out of this place, fast." Klaus said to all the girls.