𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 - A Treacherous Dinner

Veronica and the Baudelaire's bidded goodbye to Justice Strauss after they returned home and walked through the front door to their misery. "Klaus, what's that thing James Brown said?" Violet asked. Olaf came down the stairs and said to the children "'I feel good.'" Veronica rolled her eyes, knowing where this was going. "And a one, and a two, and a..." Then the pain-killing music of the troupe started to play.

As the white faced twins banged the symbols together, the children only gave confused looks to the troupe.

"Yes, we've met..." Violet said, awkwardly. Olaf took in some deep breaths, as Veronica tightened her grip a little, holding Sunny. "Orphans, this is my theatre troupe." Olaf said to the Baudelaire's, since Veronica had met the troupe before. They would occasionally visit Olaf and taunt Veronica while she worked, they would chant 'Not like us! Not like us!.' It pained Veronica to even think about it. "But we have been preparing an exciting new production that, on opening night, will change all four of your lives!" Olaf explained, making Veronica suspicious a bit. She now had a thought that Olaf was plotting something and she could tell it would not be good for her or the Baudelaire's. "All of the artistic and finical aspects of my career are finally coming together, like two pieces of a bread in the middle of a sandwich..." Sunny gurgled something to Olaf, and Veronica held Sunny closer to her so that the villain could not touch her.

"What my sister means is that--"

"I don't care what she means!" Olaf scowled, cutting Klaus off. "I don't have time to learn a second language beside whatever it is I'm speaking right now!" Veronica took in a sigh, looking down. "It's called English..." She muttered. "In any case, we demand congratulations!" Olaf exclaimed, looking proud of himself. "Congratulations..." The brunette and the two elder Baudelaire siblings said together. "A big round of applause." Klaus shook the two bags of ingredients together as the children's hands were full and Veronica had Sunny in her arms. "And the delicious meal that you four promised myself and my theatre troupe!" Olaf said. Sunny gurgled something angrily, leaning a little forward toward Olaf. "You know, every time she talks, it's like the tines of a fork are being jammed into my--"

"What Sunny means is dinner will be served shortly, Father." Veronica said, not wanting Olaf to go any further. She wasn't even sure if that's what Sunny meant. "Well, what are we supposed to do until then, girl?" Olaf complained, not happy at all.

"We could wait patiently."

"How about some wine, Olaf?" The bald man requested.

"Yes, yes, wine. The girl gave us that nice rose last time!" One of the white-faced twins said. "U-Um, actually it was..." Veronica started to say but got cut off by the other twin. "It wasn't rose. It was just watered down." Veronica sighed lightly as Sunny layed her head on her chest. "Okay fine. I'll open up a box of the Merlote." Olaf said as him and the troupe swooped away into the dining room.

"Come on, Baudelaire's. Let's get cooking." Veronica said as the children walked into the kitchen. Veronica put Sunny on the table, and gave her a pot and a spoon. "I'm sure you can find some enjoyment with this, while me and your other siblings prepare dinner, Buttercup." Veronica shrugged. Sunny gurgled to her, Veronica still unsure of what she was saying. "What my sister means is she'll be able to and you were right about what she said earlier!" Klaus smiled. Veronica smiled back at him and kissed Sunny's forehead, before getting to work. She grabbed the dusty apron she would always wear when making dinner. She tied a knot at the back and grabbed the mucky pots and pans off the stove.