𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 - Researching

Veronica and the Baudelaires walked up to Justice Strauss's home. "You think he was trying to poison us with those raspberries?" Klaus asked his friend and sisters. "He ate them all Klaus, and besides, Count Olaf is after the fortunes you, and apparently I, will inherit. Killing us would do him no good." Veronica replied. "She's right." Violet added. "What good would it do to be in a performance of The Marvellous Marriage?" Klaus asked as Violet rang the doorbell. "I don't know, but knowing Olaf, I don't think it's a good purpose." The brunette responded, looking Klaus in the eyes. They both stared at each other for a moment until they heard "Get a room." from Sunny and they turned away from each other with small rosy cheeks. "No answer." Violet said.

"This has happened before, we can go around from the side and we'll end by her garden and library." Veronica smiled and the Baudelaire orphans followed her. They walked into Justice Strauss's library, taking in the book scent and the touch of the warm fire, making smiles grow across their faces. "Baudelaires, Veronica! I'm so happy to see you. Are you here to continue your research?" Justice Strauss gasped. "Actually, Justice Strauss, we're here to research something else. Do you have any books on the theater?" Violet asked and Justice Strauss beamed brightly, walking over to a section labelled 'Theater'. "Ah, the theater. I see your settling in to having an actor for a guardian." Justice Strauss said. "I have quite the interest in theater, you know. Learning lines and curtsying for the audience and wearing costumes. I would give up every last wig to just wear a costume." Veronica smiled at those words, it reminded her of when she was younger and she was in the library, reading to find a recipe to make for Count Olaf's dinner and Justice Strauss was having a fantasy about being an actress.

"Oh, Veronica, could you imagine me on a stage? With the bright lights and the audience?" Justice Strauss smiled, sliding her wheely staircase across the bookshelves.

Eight year-old Veronica sat at a small table, looking up from her workings to Justice Strauss. "I could, Justice Strauss. You have told me that your dream was to be an actress but you gave into law." She said with a soft smile. "I could imagine you as an actress as well, considering you have a parent as an actor." Veronica giggled slightly at her words. "I'm more into reading and writing, Justice Strauss, beside acting is not for me." Veronica replied. Justice Strauss laughed a little along with Veronica.

"Justice Strauss, do you have anything on local ordinances?" Klaus asked. "She does, I tend to read some of those." Veronica said, walking over to the 'Local Ordinances' section. "Are you considering a career in law?" Klaus asked. "No, I'm considering a career in writing." Veronica smiled. "Wait, Klaus, are you sure?" Justice Strauss asked the glassy-eyed boy. "Even I don't like reading such books, and I work at the High Court." She continued. "I'm actually considering a career in law. I find those books quite fascinating." Klaus chuckled. "Well, to each his own. There are countless types of books in the world, which makes sense because there are countless types of people." Justice Strauss said. "Sunny, would you like to come with me into the garden, while your siblings and Veronica tackle all this reading?" Veronica giggled at Justice Strauss and Sunny. She hadn't seen that much happiness from Sunny since she entered Olaf's house with her siblings.

Veronica could admit she felt bad for the Baudelaire's, they were now going through the distress that she's faced for years now. She sometimes felt as if she didn't matter. She felt as if she could see herself fading away. Every time she looked at herself, she could see the cuts and bruises she deserved to have. She knew she didn't matter at all, and she was brave enough to admit it. "Veronica? Veronica?" Klaus asked, shaking her a little. "Huh? What is it, Klaus?" Veronica replied. "It's just you weren't answering me or Violet, I was...uh! I mean, we was worried about you..." Klaus stuttered. "I'm okay, Klaus. I tend to daydream for a bit." Veronica smiled before sitting down next to Violet. Violet smirked at Veronica and her brother, knowing the connection between them. As the children tried to research the theater in the books, a certain someone was watching them.

Little did they know, was that Olaf was watching them with a certain spyglass from his tower. Veronica knew this happened a few times so when she looked up to the tower from Justice Strauss's window, she gave him a small glare. Olaf glared back at her while gritting his teeth. "She'll get what's coming..." He growled under his breath. "Justice Strauss!" Klaus called out. "Yes?" She replied, coming in as she held Sunny, who was biting on a ripe carrot. "May I ask you something?" Klaus said as Justice Strauss agreed. Veronica stood up from her chair and walked up the wheely staircase. She scanned through the books and came across one that she had never seen before. It read 'The Incomplete History Of Secret Organisations' which made Veronica think to herself for a bit. Before she could even question about this book, the door opened to a voice she hated "It means you're going to be a star!" Veronica huffed and hid her face in her hands.

"Count Olaf..." Justice Strauss said, a bit shocked. Veronica rolled her eyes as she looked at Klaus and Violet. She put the book back quickly and came towards Count Olaf and Justice Strauss. "Veronica, dearest, would you head home? Hooky has something for you..." Count Olaf said as Veronica nearly gagged at the word 'dearest.' She looked back to the Baudelaires and then back at Olaf. "Of course, Father..." Veronica mumbled before walking out, holding herself tightly. She could only feel of what was coming to her. Veronica opened the filthy door to look up and see the theater troupe. "The boss didn't like the way you looked at him, so he's got a special treatment for you." The Bald Man said. Veronica looked down at the grim floor as she felt her eyes prick with tears. "Aww, is the little girl going to cry?" One of the white-face twins said. Veronica just began to go upstairs, holding herself again, as the troupe began to chant "Cry-baby! Cry-baby!"