𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 - Nurse Visit

"It's quite urgent." Mr Poe said into the phone. He was on the phone with the police about the accident that layed in the Reptile Room. "First name, Montgomery. Last name, Montgomery. No, this isn't a prank call. Hello? Hello?" Mr Poe stated. "I don't care if you have an audition for Equus! Get over here now!" Olaf scowled into a walkie talkie to his henchman. Meanwhile the four orphans came down, talking about Olaf's ankle. "I don't understand how he got rid of his tattoo..." Klaus sighed. "It's a super painful procedure." Veronica clarified before they looked to Mr Poe. Mr Poe also looked to the orphans as he put the phone down. "Good news, I managed to get through to the local sheriff's department." He informed, making Veronica let out a sigh of relief. "It seems there's an escaped cow from a local dairy farm giving them the runaround, but they assured me they'll send someone as soon as they're able." Veronica gave a confused to the Baudelaires, how is a cow escape more important than a murder?

Just then, the door bell rang. It certainly wasn't a visitor or a salesman. "They must've made quick work of that cow." Mr Poe said then walking to the front door. "There's no way it could take that long to get a cow right after a phone call, they can run fast." Veronica whispered to Klaus, him giving an agreeing nod. To who was at the front door was someone, no, not someone, it was the man of indeterminate gender wearing a nurse outfit and wearing a mask over their face. "May I help you, ma'am? Sir...?" Mr Poe questioned, trying to find out which to say. "I'm Nurse Lucafont." The man of indeterminate gender responded. "Nurse Lucafont? From the local sheriff's department's medical examiner's office?" Stephano questioned in a lie. "From the local..." Stephano tried to mouth the rest but then gave up just as Mr Poe looked at him. "I hear there's been a terrible accident involving a snake!" Nurse Lucafont said in fake despair as Veronica rolled her eyes. "That was fast. I only just now made the call." Mr Poe replied. 

Veronica held her small picture tightly and bit her lip. "You okay?" Sunny babbled. The brunette looked to her and nodded slightly with a sad smile. "I believe uh..." Nurse Lucafont started. "Speed is of the essence in an emergency, sir." They finished. It was then a few seconds of silence before Lucafont let out, "Could I get a cup of coffee?" The children then were the ones to bite their lips in concern. "I'm suspicious." Sunny gurgled. "Don't you want to examine the body, nurse?" Veronica pointed out with a fake smile. Stephano turned to glare at the girl and then turned back to Mr Poe and Nurse Lucafont. "Right, the body. Lead the way." Lucafont said, walking into the parlour and towards the Reptile Room with Stephano leading. "It's right over here in the Reptile Room." He stated, gesturing to the slightly opened door.

"Excuse me, but why are you wearing that mask over your face?" Klaus asked after clearing his throat. "I heard there were reptiles, they...they might be contagious!" Nurse Lucafont made up. "But reptiles aren't contagious...are you sure you're a qualified nurse?" Veronica added. Stephano clearly didn't want the two bookworms trying to prove his henchman wrong as he said "Maybe the children should wait outside." Veronica glared at the villain as her fist once again clenched at his terrible accent. "Being in a room with a dead body could be very traumatic..." Stephano added. "We've already been in a room with a dead body, thanks to you." Violet spat back. Mr Poe ignored Violet's statement and looked to Stephano. "Oh yes, thank you Stephano, for that excellent point. I must say, you show genuine compassion for these children." He agreed with a nod. "I appreciate it. Perhaps I will wait out here with the children while you and Nurse Lucafont go in and examine the body." Stephano replied. "The body?" Mr Poe gulped. "Or maybe Stephano could take Nurse Lucafont into the Reptile Room and they could examine the body, while me, the Baudelaires and Mr Poe stay out here." Veronica suggested after. "No, girl, please...if I were standing closer to you...I would slap you in the throat."