𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑 - Stephano

"No..." Veronica gasped, shaking her head in fear and shock.

"Good morning, young girl, my name is Stephano, Dr.Montgomery Montgomery's new assistant." Olaf said. "It is afternoon and you are Count Olaf. That costume isn't fooling anyone." Veronica spat. "Veronica, what's going on? We heard the doorbell!" Klaus called from the Reptile Room. "Klaus, don't come over here!" Veronica exclaimed. "Why not-"

Violet got cut off when seeing Olaf at the door. "Veronica, step away." Klaus said. Veronica stepped away a little as Klaus put her behind him. "Perhaps one of you can take my suitcases up to my room. The ride along that smelly road was dull and unpleasant, and Stephano is very tired." Olaf whined. "You're Count Olaf and if anyone deserved to travel along Lousy Lane, it's you." Violet said with a hint of spite in her voice. "We will not help with your luggage and we will not let you in this house!" Klaus said. He tried to shut the door but Olaf had other plans.

He stabbed a knife into the wood of the door as he gave a scowl towards the children. Veronica gripped onto Klaus's hand with fear and he began to calm her by putting small circles on her hand. "Well, I see you children haven't changed one bit..." Olaf spat as the children backed up and up to the stairs and he followed them with the knife in his hand. "Violet, you're obviously as stubborn as ever, Klaus, you're still wearing those idiotic glasses from reading too many books. Veronica, you're still the most horrible and useless child I ever met and I can see little Sunny has nine toes instead of ten."

"Uh-oh..." Sunny gurgled. "What are you talking about? Buttercup has ten toes like the vast majority of people." Veronica responded. "Really? That's odd. I seem to recall a man named Stephano, being so confused by being called Count Olaf, that he accidentally dropped his knife on one of her little feet and severed one of her toes." Olaf said back. "You wouldn't dare." Violet spat.

"Let's not discuss what I would or would not do. Instead, let's discuss both of your poor unfortunate parents." Olaf chuckled. "Your father's and mother's were very brave in their days. But..." He imitated a explosion with his hands. "Their days are done, children." Veronica looked at the photo of the piano and then back at Olaf. "That is not a photo of our parents." Klaus said. "Yes, it is, they're inside the piano along with brunette's father." Olaf clarified, making the children confused. "How do you know that?" Klaus questioned.

"I took the picture..." Olaf smirked. "And now, all that's left of them is their enormous fortunes and those fortunes are mine." He continued. "Never." Veronica growled. "Never is a long time and your ridiculous uncle will be back in a few seconds." He said, before turning to another picture.

"What's this? Well, well, well, I see Monty has left something familiar. Someone familiar to Veronica's dear old father." Olaf said, pointing toward the man in the picture with his knife. "And them as well?" Olaf laughed, then pointing at the teenagers in the picture. "What are you talking about?" Violet asked. "Brunette, do you know what this is?" Olaf questioned. "No, I don't know." Veronica responded. "Well, I see Arthur and Kate taught you nothing about them. That's a part of your fam-" But Olaf was cut off by the screeching iguana clock as it went off, shocking him. "Go!" Klaus exclaimed and the children began to run down the stairs. Questions began to run through Veronica's mind. So Monty did know what that picture was but he just didn't bother to tell her, but who were they? Why did they know her father? Did they know Veronica's mother as well?

Veronica ran into the Reptile Room, followed by Klaus, and then he shut the door as soon as Olaf's knife was about to hit them. "Furnaces of hell!" She heard Olaf shout from behind the door. "Baudelaires! Brunette!" Olaf yelled. Veronica's breath hitched as she began to shake in fear. "How did he find us?" Violet asked. "That's the wrong question, Vi. What do we do?" Veronica replied. "We can smash a window and make our way into town and catch a train far away from here." Klaus suggested. "Oh, and will Monty say when he finds his four adopted children gone in all of a sudden?" Veronica said with sarcasm.

"Aside from my sarcasm, if Count Olaf could find us here, he could find us anywhere." She then stated. "She's right." Sunny gurgled. "Well, we can't just stay here and wait for him to burst in here and slaughter us!" Klaus exclaimed. "He wouldn't do that. He wouldn't hurt us till he gets his hands on our fortunes." Violet added.

"Guys, look, Monty's back!" Veronica said, waking up to the window. "He'll surely see through that disguise." She said with confidence. The children watched as Monty and Olaf spoke to each other for a little bit. Unfortunately, for the children, it seemed that luck wasn't on their side as Monty allowed Olaf into his home. "Oh no..." Violet muttered. 

"Baudelaires! Veronica!" The children walked up to the door as Klaus asked "Is that you, Dr. Montgomery?" Veronica held Klaus's hand again in fear as he gripped the grasp on her hand. "Yes, uh...let me just unlock all these important security measures and I'll join you in the Reptile Room!" Monty yelled before making lots of noises which sounded cogs and gears turning, making Veronica giggle a little. "What is he even doing?" Violet questioned. Monty, finally, opened the door and walked into the Reptile Room. "I am so sorry children that you were frightened by the man who arrived earlier. It makes sense that you were alarmed, being that he chased you up and down the stairs with a knife, but there's nothing to fear. He is my new assistant, Stephano. I have seen his papers and everything is in order. So, you see, there's nothing to be worried about." Monty explained.

Veronica could see Monty looking over his shoulder as he spoke. She could see that he knew Stephano wasn't who he really was and she smiled at that. "Oh, yes...I see." Violet said. "How silly...we were to be afraid." Klaus added, raising his voice up. "Precisely, children!" Monty exclaimed. "Stephano has explained to me that he has a very strict fitness regimen, where he has to run up and down the stairs brandishing a knife at least three times a day. So, that makes...perfect sense..." Veronica giggled at when Monty spun his finger around his head.

"I might join him on that exercise regimen." Veronica said. Monty smiled at the brunette, seeing how she was playing along with the Baudelaires. "So now that is cleared up, would you all mind helping me bring things in from my truck?" He asked and the children followed him outside. "I knew he would see through him." Veronica whispered to herself.