Chapter 7

I still hadn't found out the reasons why the god of order left his place of guarding me. Something huge must have happened, something disruptive to the order of the world for him to leave the place he hadn't left for more than three thousand years. Even the small rebellions among the other beasts in the Forbidden Woods couldn't draw him away from his responsibilities of guarding me. He simply sent out his puppet at that time. 

I threw another book to the ground.

"Just where is it?" I muttered in annoyance as I scattered another pile of books from the shelves onto the ground. I pulled my hair in frustration. "This annoying god of order and his compulsive behavior to place everything into order! Who asked you to tidy up my place? Every novel is stacked into orderly piles. See now I can't find the one I want to read!"

Someone cleared his throat. I turned to find the god of order standing by the door with lines between his eyebrows and fingers tapping on the rim of the door. He's getting annoyed with how messy my room had turned into. I smiled internally, but decided to glare at him instead, "What?" 

"Lorelei," he said curtly. "What are you trying to find?" 

"A book." And then I pushed another stack on the floor. 

The sound of fingers tapping on the door intensified. 

"What book?"

"You won't know." I leaned down to try and read the titles scattered on the floor. 

"Name?" 

"Just ignore me, why do you care about what I am doing down in my prison?"

He walked into the room and started picking up the books littered on the floor. He stacked them orderly back into the shelves. 

"Hey, what are you doing?" 

"You just continue on with your search," he sighed as he continued to tidy up my mess. 

I pursed my lips and turned back to my search. This time I flung more books across the room out of spite. After nearly flipping my room upside down, I found the book I had been searching for. 

Ignoring the god of order who had been diligently picking up books and inserting them back into their respective place on the shelves according to alphabetical order, size and color, I flopped back onto my bed. I had no idea why the god of order had to tidy up my room manually without using his power, he seldom used his power in front of me. Maybe he was afraid I might find out the weakness in his power. 

I started re-reading one of my favorite novels, when was the last time I read this? Two hundred years ago? 

"The flowers around the lake have bloomed," the god in my room said. 

"None of my business. They bloom every year." I hadn't left my prison under the lake since the incident after I woke from my sleep. 

Silence followed. 

"Now if you would leave my prison cell, you have checked on me that I have neither escaped or attempted suicide." 

He was still standing there.

I put down the book in my hand. I curled a thread of my hair around my finger playfully and stared at him through my eyelashes. A playful smile tugging at my lips. 

"What's your purpose coming all the way down here?" I left where I was sitting and swam towards him. I placed my hand on his shoulder and leaned forward, whispering next to his ear I asked, "Are you lonely? Miss me?" 

Just like many times before, I was met with silence. Satisfied that I had annoyed him, I pulled away from him when his hand circled around my wrist and trapped me where I was. 

"I'll never abandon you here," he said with his usual calm tone. "I'm your warden, I'll stay here with you." 

"Yeah, I have heard that line a thousand times already." I rolled my eyes. 

"Last time was an exception. I had something I had to deal with. That won't happen again." 

"Oh let's see," I snorted. "I don't care. That leaves me even more chance to escape. I dare you to leave this place again." I smiled. 

"You won't be able to escape." 

"Don't be so full of yourself. That's going to be your downfall." 

"This world is no longer the one you lived in thousands of years ago. There's nothing for you out there. All your families and friends are gone. Even the town you stayed in was destroyed." 

Anger filled me. "And whose fault was that? Even if I die the moment I leave this place, I will die as a free soul." I glared at him. 

He sighed. 

"As I said last time was an exception. I won't leave you alone here again." 

I tried to struggle out of his hold around my wrist. 

"So stop being angry," he said softly. 

"Me? Angry? At what?" I scoffed. 

He just responded with silence. As if he knew I knew the answer to that question. 

I shied away from him. I was angry, angry that he broke his promise. 

The moment I realized I was locked inside the prison. I had been frightened. Frightened that he would abandon me just like that. Fear that he had had enough of me, that's why he decided to just seal me at the bottom of a lake like the sea monster many people saw me as. Fear I would have to stay in this place and rotted to death alone. I was also angry at myself. Angry that I had such feeling. 

What if he did abandon me? Why would I feel frightened and sad? He's just my warden of my never ending imprisonment.

He stroked my hair gently with his other hand. "I'll not leave you again. I'll stay with you. As long as fate intertwined us." 

I wished to push him away, but in the end my hands just drop helplessly to the side of my body.

He would not be able to uphold his promise. 

I would cut the cruel fate between us, even if it costed my life. 

----------------

Author's note

Thank you for reading! See you next time! 

P.S. Check out my new project on web novel 'Second Female Leads' Playbook'!