Chapter 2 - "Don't care, I only need a minute."

A loud bang shocked Taylor awake and she jerked her head up. Blinking the fog from her eyes, she found the classroom dead silent, and every gaze pinned on her. No one murmured, laughed, or whispered comments. Not in this class.

Rubbing her eyes, Taylor tilted her head back, staring up at Mrs. Hall. The woman's normally severe face looked even more threatening, pinched in anger. The lines around her eyes cut deeper and framed her hard, black eyes.

"Ms. Barnes, is my class so easy you think you can sleep through it and still succeed?" she snapped.

Taylor sighed. "No, Mrs. Hall."

"Then I am sure you have a good excuse for showing me this much disrespect."

Taylor believed she did, it involved a fire and the number of hours of sleep she could count on one hand, but that would make no difference. Mrs. Hall ran her classroom as if she were at a military school. Disrespect, such as falling asleep, deserved the highest form of punishment. Taylor said nothing, knowing any defense would only prolong the conversation.

"If you will not share with me, I have no doubt you will be fine sharing it with the principal."

There was no need for her to say when this conversation should take place, the immediate dismissal was implied in the edge of her tone. Taylor flipped closed her notebook, noticing the damp spot that said she had slept deep enough to drool. In any other class she would be mildly concerned about photos, but not in here, not with Mrs. Hall's hawk-eyed gaze.

After packing up her backpack, she stood and slung it onto her shoulders. Mrs. Hall watched her departure with as much contempt as one person could hold. The class didn't breathe, knowing that that wrath could easily be turned on them. Only when the door swung shut behind Taylor, did the tension begin to ebb away.

As Taylor made her way to the office, she tried to rid the gritty feeling from her eyes. If it hadn't been for her mother waking her up and checking in that she was moving, Taylor wouldn't have even come to school.

The efforts of last night had left her feeling wrung out, more than most incidents caused. Part of the problem could be the constant ache in her face from where she had been punched and where an ugly bruise now lived.

With the mantra of 'get to the school office, get to the school office' running in her head, Taylor rubbed her eyes again and blindly collided with the office door. She stumbled and managed to right herself, surprised that she arrived faster than she planned. Shaking off the collision, she stepped inside.

Along the wall of glass - that looked out onto the hallway, there was a row of chairs. Already seated was a boy with dark brown hair styled to a perfect mess, a face with the jaw of a greek god, green eyes, and a physique honed by sports: Dominic Parker.

Despite never having had a conversation with him, Dominic stared at her. Taylor ignored his attention and plopped into one of the chairs, leaned her head back, and closed her eyes.

When a hand landed on her arm, she started. The air around her seemed to freeze. Confused, Taylor looked from the hand to the arm to the body it was attached to.

"What did you just do?" Dominic asked.

Taylor shook off his hold and the odd sensation in the air vanished.

"I fell asleep in class," she said.

Dominic opened his mouth as if to say more but the door to the Principal's office opened and Principal Kent stepped out.

"Dominic, come in," she said.

Dominic looked at Taylor once more, then followed the Principal inside. Left in the quiet office, Taylor sank into her chair, waiting her fate. It was fifteen minutes later that Dominic emerged and Taylor got called in. As she passed Dominic, he studied her as if she were something unknown. Unable to make sense of the look, she pushed it aside.