Chapter 27 - "Freeze!"

Weston had his head placed in his hands when Taylor made her appearance in his office. The evidence boards were still plastered with the photos Taylor had taken. Photos that promised something bad crept closer and closer.

Feeling a sense of anxiety over so many unknowns, Taylor tore her gaze away from the boards and looked at her brother. The slope of his shoulders told her it had been a long day.

"Hey," she said.

Slowly, Weston lifted his head and rubbed his face as if trying to rouse himself.

"Long day?" she asked.

Sighing heavily, Weston leaned back in his chair. "Yeah. The worst part is I know that something is coming and I have no way of stopping it, all I can do is brace for impact and be ready to clean up the mess afterward." 

Taylor stared at her brother's profile, the worry around his eyes, the grim lash of his mouth, the exhaustion that weighed on him. It was a part of himself that he never showed them at home. He hid it behind an exterior of calm. Crime was just another distant topic, not something that he burdened them with by telling them the truth of it all.

Taylor knew that he never would, it was how he protected them, protected her.

"What can I do to help?" she asked, needing him to know he wasn't alone.

Though she knew she might never be able to tell him the truth at least she could use her ability to lighten his load whenever she could.

Weston swung his chair around to face her. There was a hesitancy in his face that Taylor knew she could see only because she knew him so well. She straightened, trying to piece together what he didn't want to ask her but knew he had to.

"Is it possible..." He adjusted his jacket, unsure. "Could you take me to the Fitzpatrick's base?"

Taylor crossed over to him and held out her gloved hand. For a fraction of a second before Weston took hold, she wondered if he would know it was her by the size, shape, and length of her hand even beneath the black glove. But when Weston enclosed his long fingers around hers, he didn't react to it.

"Ready?" she asked.

He nodded and tensed as if preparing himself for a jump off a cliff. The shift from Weston's office to the rooftop held none of the terror of plummeting to ones death but still Weston let out a breath like he was surprised to find himself on solid ground.

"I didn't throw up," he said.

"A bonus of this not being your first time."

Relaxing, Weston surveyed where they were before honing in on the skylight. The pair quietly inched their way over, aware of disturbing the rocks scattered around them. The skylight was dark and when they peered over the edge they looked into an empty room. Something about it unsettled Taylor. She was used to seeing groups of men in the midst of arguments and plans.

From where they were perched and the dim light of the moon, it was nearly impossible to make out the interior. Taylor glanced at Weston, who squinted in a vain attempt to make sense of the darkness.

"Do you want to go in?" she asked.

Weston didn't reply and she could sense the war inside his head. To go in would risk her presence in a place that held dangerous men, but what they risked if they didn't go in was a chance to get more information. Weston curled his hand. When he released it, Taylor knew he'd decided.

"Take us in. But." He stared at her. "You stay behind me and if we hear anything you get us out. If you can't get me out with you, leave without me."