36 - What Would Really Help

ONE YEAR LATER (HBT)

"SO... WHY DO YOU THINK YOU'RE HERE TODAY, RAVEN?"

Raevanna looked up at the woman before her, her a hint of annoyed amusement in the faery's dark eyes as she regarded the woman carefully. The blonde hair pulled back into a tight ponytail, the freckles that peppered her nose and cheeks, and the striking blue eyes that seemed void of any emotion, along with the large glasses and deep red turtleneck, did not make Raevanna feel any better about being there, since the woman's whole vibe just screamed "therapist."

Because technically, that's what she was.

Raevanna hadn't wanted to do this. She'd insisted to Tony that she didn't need a therapist; that she was perfectly fine with everything that had occurred. But after her first day at Stark Tower (which Tony had renovated and renamed Avengers Tower) triggered the memory of Raevanna's near-death experience and caused her to involuntarily have a full blown panic attack, Tony had insisted she see someone to help her sort out her feelings — especially when she panicked again two more times in the following days.

Raevanna knew that Tony was just looking out for her. They all were; every single member of the Avengers just wanted to make sure she was okay. And this was Tony's way of showing her that he cared. But Raevanna still hated it, since she felt like this therapist — Doctor Kara Hansen — was humoring her and her experience, treating her like she was a child.

Thankfully, Steve was there with her. He had gone with her to every session since they started, and if it wasn't for him, Raevanna was sure that she would've snapped by now.

So she raised an eyebrow at Dr. Hansen, cocking her head. "Am I supposed to tell you something different from what I've been saying for the past three months, or...?"

Dr. Hansen shrugged. "You tell me."

Raevanna rolled her eyes. "You were the one who asked, genius."

Steve placed a hand on Raevanna's knee, causing her to look at him. He gave her a sympathetic yet encouraging smile, and Raevanna gave him a grateful grin in return before looking at the doctor.

"Sorry," Raevanna said, looking down. "Today... today's a tough day for me."

"Oh, really?" Dr. Hansen crossed her legs and leaned back. "What makes it so tough?"

Raevanna sighed. "Today's the anniversary of the day my parents died."

Dr. Hansen's stone cold face softened. "I'm so sorry to hear that," she said. "Did you lose them when you were young, or was it recent?"

"I was nine," Raevanna said. "By human standards, at least."

"That must've been hard for you," Dr. Hansen told her. "Losing a parent that young is never easy, especially if you lose both." She leaned forward. "Who told you about their passing?"

"No one." Raevanna shook her head. "I was there when it happened. I saw them get captured."

"So your parents were killed by someone, not something."

"Not just any someone," Raevanna said. "An Orc sorcerer by the name of Gurak. He blamed my kind for the deaths of his own people, and since Orcs never take prisoners, he killed my parents in revenge."

"And you never tried to find him and confront him?" Dr. Hansen asked.

"When I was old enough, I did," Raevanna said. "I searched for him for years. But he'd vanished."

"So you never saw him again."

"Oh no, I saw him." Raevanna huffed dryly. "He tried to kill me several times during my time here. Almost succeeded, too. But my team, they... they killed him. I don't have to worry about him anymore."