67 - Let's Begin

"ALRIGHT," ERISSA SAID TO RAEVANNA. "The first branch we'll start with is Trust Your Instincts."

"Trust Your Instincts?" Raevanna repeated. "What's that?"

"It's a skill we learn when we turn thirteen," Erissa replied. "It teaches us to trust our instincts, and to rely on them as well as our other senses when we need them most." Holding out her palm, she stared at it, and after a moment a simple strip of black cloth materialized into her hand. Then, she held it out to Raevanna. "Put this around your eyes."

Raevanna huffed. "Are you teaching me to fight blind? Cause I already know how to do that."

Erissa frowned. "Who taught you to fight blind?"

"It's a long story," Raevanna said with a sigh. "You missed a lot over the years."

Erissa was silent for a moment, her frown a sign of her obvious concern. But she didn't question it further; instead she just shook her head. "Well regardless, I'm not teaching you how to fight blind. I'm teaching you how to defend yourself when your vision is restricted."

"Isn't that the same thing?" Raevanna asked.

"They're similar," Erissa said. "Fighting blind teaches you to attack, and use the world around you as your vision. Defending yourself while your vision is obstructed teaches you to rely on your instincts when your vision is impaired or blocked, not taken, and allows your senses to 'see' oncoming projectiles and attacks in order to deflect them. Fighting blind is offensive. Defending blind is, well... defensive. Does that make sense?"

Raevanna nodded slowly. "Yeah, I think I get it."

"Good." Erissa smiled, then held out the blindfold again. "Now, put this on."

Raevanna took the blindfold, sighing softly before tying it around her eyes. Then, she tensed when Erissa put her hands on her shoulders and moved her back a few steps.

"Now, I'm going to be sending a series of projectiles at you at very high speeds," Erissa said. "Your job is to sense them and deflect them before they hit you. Got it?"

Raevanna nodded again, dropping into a defensive stance. "Got it."

"Alright," Erissa said. "We're gonna begin in three... two... one... Now."

Raevanna didn't know what to expect when Erissa finished counting. But she wasn't expecting to be immediately assaulted with large, spiky objects. They came from every way, pelting her from all sides, and she felt several of them cut her skin, causing her to hiss in pain. Acting on instinct, she held up her hands and then shielded her body with her wings, but that only made the spiky objects strike them instead. Eventually she couldn't take it anymore, and she dropped into a crouch, protecting her head with her hands as she shouted, "Stop! Stop it!"

The objects instantly ceased hitting her, and Raevanna relaxed, slowly lowering her wings and arms. Then, she pulled off the blindfold, turned her head, and looked at her sister with eyes full of guilt and shame. Erissa's face, however, betrayed no emotion as she looked at her.

"I... I'm sorry," Raevanna said before looking down.

Erissa's lips curled up in a grin. "Don't apologize. I did the exact same thing when I started." Extending her hand to her sister, Erissa then nodded. "Come on. We'll try something else."

Raevanna took Erissa's hand gratefully, allowing the older faery to help her to her feet. "Thanks."

Erissa nodded again in response. "Let's try Overpower. It might be a little less strenuous."

"Overpower?" Raevanna repeated.

"It's basically as the name suggests," Erissa said. "Your goal is to overpower me, either from a yield, being pinned down, or, in extreme cases, a knockout. And you can use anything around us to your advantage."

Raevanna couldn't help but feel excited. Now this was something she could do.

Erissa stepped back, settling into a fighting stance and leading Raevanna to do the same. Then, Erissa spoke, a hint of excitement in her voice as she said, "Ready?"

Raevanna nodded, raising her fists. "Ready."

"Alright. Let's do this." Erissa cracked her neck. "And... now!"

Raevanna immediately launched herself at Erissa, lunging for her with a quick swing. But Erissa easily dodged it, then slid behind Raevanna and locked her arms around her younger sister's neck. Raevanna struggled for a moment before she gritted her teeth and grabbed Erissa's arms, flipping her sister up and over her head. Erissa landed on her back, but as Raevanna lunged again, Erissa leaned back thrust her feet into Raevanna's stomach, kicking her away. Raevanna landed in a crouch on the ground, sliding back several feet as Erissa got to her feet, then stood up and charged right at her sister before she began a series of quick punches - all of which Erissa either dodged or parried. Then, just as Raevanna swung her fist again, Erissa slid behind her again, then slammed her right fist into Raevanna's back and her left fist just above her wings, flipping the younger faery through the air and onto her back. But as soon as she hit the ground, Raevanna used the same trick Erissa had used, slamming her feet into her sister's stomach as she lunged and kicking her away. Erissa landed hard on her back as well, but as Raevanna leapt onto her, Erissa grabbed her sister's forearms and thrust her feet into Raevanna's hips. Then, she rolled back, dragging Raevanna with her as she flipped over on the ground. Once Erissa was on top, she pinned Raevanna to the ground by her shoulders and used her knees to pin her legs.

Raevanna stopped fighting immediately, knowing that the fight was over. So Erissa got up and helped Raevanna stand, brushing the dust off her sister's hair.

"This is impossible," Raevanna said with a frustrated sigh.

"No it's not," Erissa said. "Remember what I told you? You have to let go and forget everything you've been tought. Stop fighting with this-" Erissa tapped Raevanna's forehead. "-and start fighting with this." She then tapped Raevanna's heart. "Okay?"

Raevanna sighed again, nodding at Erissa. "Okay."

"Good." Erissa smiled. "Now let's try this again."

══════════ ◦◦◦✵◦◦◦ ══════════

A/N: it has been a hot minute since i last updated, hasn't it?

well, i'd love to tell you that it was because i've been busy but that would be a lie, i was just procrastinating lmao oops

since i really want to finish this book by december, i'm going to shorten this act significantly, and next chapter will be a major time jump. i know i probably shouldn't since infinity war broke me but hey, at least we'll get to see diana and raevanna's friendship so that's a plus

love you the most :)