63 - Finding Answers

"IT'S JUST FOR SIX MONTHS IN HUMAN TIME," RAEVANNA SAID TO STEVE, TRYING TO ASSURE HIM. "That means six weeks for me. I know that's a long time for you, but I have to figure out what this dream is, and I think Maeve is the only one who can help."

It had been a day or so, and Raevanna had decided to return to Elyon to try and figure out what her strange dream meant. It had felt too real for her to just ignore it and pass it off as just her restless subconscious - this was a memory, she was sure of it. However, Steve wasn't very sure about her leaving; they were still technically wanted, and if they were seen it would not end well.

Steve shook his head, stepping forward and taking her hands. "Raevanna, you can't. If anyone sees you-"

"They won't see me," Raevanna said. When Steve shook his head again and looked away, Raevanna put her hand on his cheek. "Hey, look at me," she said. He did, and she smiled softly before saying, "I'll be fine, Steve. I promise."

Steve sighed. "Is there any other way you can talk to your aunt? A way where you don't have to leave?"

Raevanna shook her head. "There is, but it won't be the same. I need to go there in person." Steve closed his eyes and looked down, so Raevanna rubbed his cheek with her thumb. "Steve, please. I have to do this."

Steve was quiet for a moment, but then sighed again and nodded. "Alright. But just... be careful, okay?"

Raevanna nodded back. "I will." She kissed him, then gave him a warm hug. "I'll be back in six months," she whispered in his ear. "Maybe less, depending on how things go."

Then she stepped back, walking out onto the balcony before flapping her wings and looking up at the sky. Once she had gained enough power, she sprang into the air, diving into the now open Clessibis Current and then closing it behind her.

The storm within the current seemed calmer than usual, almost as if it was allowing her to pass even quicker. But Raevanna didn't dwell on why or how; she just kept going until she arrived over Elyon. She didn't have time to focus on things like that; she had a mission to complete.

The sun was high in the sky over Elyon, casting a warm glow on the island. Raevanna couldn't help but feel a bit relieved - as she always did whenever she came home. Sighing to herself, she began a gentle dive down to Talon's Peak, heading down to her home until she landed on the walkway. Then, after taking a deep breath, she stepped inside.

No one was home, which was unusual. Looking around, Raevanna saw that several of her parents' books were out, laying open on the desks and floor. Curious, she walked over to one of the desks and closed one of the open books to look at the cover, shocked when she saw that it was one of the four journals her parents had written about humans.

Suddenly Raevanna sensed a presence behind her. Straightening up but not turning around, she asked, "Why were you reading these?"

"I was trying to learn," came the reply.

Raevanna turned around to face her aunt, who now stood in the doorway. "Learn?"

"About the humans," Maeve told her, walking into the house. "Your parents were the only ones who did not have a negative opinion on them. I was hoping that their entries could help me understand them better." She smiled. "For your sake."

Raevanna smiled back, happy that her aunt was finally making an effort to accept the humans. Then, she walked forward, nodding at her aunt. "So what did you learn?"

"Humans are... very complicated creatures." Maeve picked up one of the books. "More so than I thought. They fear and try to control what they do not understand, and if they cannot control it, they avoid it or destroy it. But..." Maeve ran her hands over the cover. "They are just as passionate as they are destructive. If they truly believe in something, they will go to great lengths to see it happen. They love as we do, and to many, family is just as important to them as it is to us. They are smart, and though they do not always use this intelligence wisely, those who do are honored and treated with respect. They are not as inclusive as we are, and definitely more violent. But there are good humans among the bad." Maeve looked up at Raevanna and smiled. "And it is a privilege to be among the good."