72 - Pool Talk

ONCE THEY HAD COLLECTIVELY AGREED THAT THEY WERE GOING TO ASK DIANA FOR HELP, IT WAS ALL A MATTER OF FINDING HER. But thankfully, the tech Rhodey had at the Avengers facility made it easy, and before long they discovered that Diana was currently living in Boston, Massachusetts. So, after some discussion, the four fugitives decided to fly there as soon as possible. 

However, after an hour or so of flying, their energy levels began to dip. They had been bouncing around, flying from place to place for the past few days, and it had been draining on them all. Even Steve could tell that they needed rest, but it was only confirmed after Raevanna kept nodding off while trying to give directions to Diana's current residence. So, per Natasha's suggestion, they stopped at a small motel in Springfield to rest and recharge before their arrival in Boston. 

Once night fell, the four of them entered the motel grounds. Thankfully, the owner was kind enough to let them stay, and promised not to tell anyone of their whereabouts. As usual, Sam and Natasha each got their own separate rooms, while Steve and Raevanna shared one, and before long it was lights out, and they all decided to get some rest. 

But as soon as Raevanna put her head on the pillow, she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep. Her mind was restless, a million different thoughts swirling around in her brain. And her nerves weren't helping much, either. So, once she was sure Steve was asleep, she got out of bed and snuck outside to do something that would (hopefully) clear her head. 

After awhile, Steve woke up, feeling like something was off. So he rolled over, only to see that his girlfriend was gone. Sitting up and looking around worriedly, he didn't see her anywhere, so he got up and got dressed before walking outside. 

He wandered around the grounds for a few minutes, knowing she wouldn't have gone far. Then, after stopping to survey his surroundings, Steve heard a soft splashing sound. Turning his head, he followed the source of the sound until he reached the pool area, where he saw that the gate around the pool was unlocked and had been pushed open a crack. Steve knew that wasn't a coincidence, so he opened the gate wider and walked into the pool area, and just like he had suspected, Raevanna was there, effortlessly swimming laps around the pool. 

Steve walked up to the edge of the pool, then crouched beside it, waiting for Raevanna to notice him. She popped up from under the water, a smile breaking out on her face, and she swam over to him before crossing her arms and resting them on the edge of the pool. 

"Sorry if I woke you," Raevanna said. "I just needed some space to think." 

Steve shook his head. "It's alright." Looking down at her, he cocked his head and added, "I didn't know you could swim." 

Raevanna giggled. "Steve, I was born on an island." 

"I know, but..." Steve trailed off. "You have wings. I just figured-" 

"I prefer the sky over the sea?" Raevanna finished. Steve nodded, and she smiled before saying, "Well, I do. Most of us do, actually. But we do get tired, so we learn to swim in case our wings ever fail us while we're flying over bodies of water." 

Steve nodded slowly in understanding. Then, after a minute, he regarded her curiously. "So what were you thinking about?" 

Raevanna sighed, her smile fading. "A lot, honestly." Swimming to the side, she put her hands on the edge of the pool and hauled herself out of it, then spun around and sat at the edge so her feet dangled in the water. Steve took off his shoes and did the same, waiting for her to see if she would tell him what was on her mind. 

"One of the things is this whole situation with Vision," Raevanna admitted after a moment. "Wanda... she's young, but she's tough. But even I could tell that she was terrified. And she knows more than she admitted to me." Raevanna sighed. "In all my time as Champion, I've learned to trust my instincts more than most. And it's rare that my instincts are wrong in what they tell me."