Part 5: Flashing Lights

Simon POV

The the bass of the trap song playing out overhead thuds hard in my chest. It was near deafening and my only fear was losing sight of JJ, not sure how I would even find him if we were separated. So my hand is grabbing the back of his shirt, weaving between people as he greets someone I have never seen before. I think he introduces me from the way his hand motions in my direction, but I can't seem to hear much. So I wave awkwardly, trying smile but it was hard to concentrate on it. My body and my ears were so overwhelmed by all the noise, mostly the music, but I could hear that undertone of murmuring as people shout conversations between each other.

JJ moves suddenly, causing me to trip over my own feet. Trying to keep up as the guy leads us towards an area up a level, that looks out onto the main dance floor. There is security at the entrance and I can only assume it was some VIP area.

I shuffle around a few half dressed women, trying to stay next to JJ but I lose my grip on him. He doesn't seem to notice, but at least this area was less populated than the main floor so I can see him easily. We come to a stop by a small section made up of a few couches facing each other around a round glass table. There is a guy there I don't recognize and about four women chatting and laughing between themselves. Two on either side of the guy and two facing each other on opposite couches.

I realize all too late that where JJ sat, there was no room next to him. I internally panic before having to sit across from him, next to a brunette with a sweet smile. Thankfully she is small and my long legs don't knock into her much. She says 'hi' to me and I smile saying 'hi' back, hoping it didn't sound as stiff as it felt.

I look up to spot JJ talking to the girl next to him, she's gorgeous. She looks like she was pulled right out a Instagram picture. Her long brown, tight curls, soft caramel skin which looks like it's glowing. A smile that can light up a room. She was--

I catch JJ looking at me and I look away, my face is hot and I feel stupid. This was no time for jealousy, he brought me here, that surely meant something. I need to get out of my head, enjoy myself. Maybe I should have stayed back the hotel.

Someone comes by to take our drink orders and I get some raspberry flavored vodka drink. I just needed something to ease my nerves. I almost forgot the guy was here until I see him leaned over talking JJ. Though the music was softer I have no idea what they are saying. I look back to girl next to me, she was on her phone laughing. All her features are soft and small, her pale skin tinted with a light tan, her brown eyes sparkle when she looks up to me.

"You mind?"

She says in a heavy American accent, though she doesn't sound particularly like she was from L.A. Her words would have shot right through me from the intensity of them, if she wasn't smiling. Without being able to help it, I smile back.

"Sorry, was jus' wondering, what was so funny." I offer with a shrug, watching her brows raise in surprise.

"Just a little inside joke between girls." She purrs out, holding up her phone to wave it at me.

"I always get a bit bored at parties. So, I have to entertain myself somehow." She continues, and I nod, understanding what she means. I've been a wallflower at plenty of parties back in the day.

"Me too." I agree with her, watching her lean her arms on her crossed legs as she looks up to me curiously.

"Oh, so what brings you here?" She questions, and it takes everything in me to not look at JJ.

"Um..." It was such a simple question,  there are plenty of easy ways to answer it. Yet I stumble.

"Dragged along, huh?" She finally says, saving me from looking like an idiot. I huffs out a breath and nod again, appreciating the save.