💫lab partners au💫

i was looking at tumblr prompts and found this and i had inspo for some science bros hehe

Summary: Bruce Banner, 16 and an awkward sophomore, is paired in the lab with the one person he doesn't want to be paired with: Tony Stark. But after a while, they become friends...and maybe more.

Ships: Science Bros (whooooo)

Warnings: slash ship, mentions of when Tony's parents died, extreme fluff (it's so fluffy i'm gonna dieeee), sort of feels?

Word count: 1538

-

"-And Bruce Banner with Tony Stark," the teacher, Mrs. Willson, announced. She was reciting all of the lab partners that they would have for a year. Bruce perked up when he heard his name, but immediately rolled his eyes when he heard that he was being paired with Tony Stark.

Tony freaking Stark.

The arrogant guy who had one girlfriend a week, and a party every month. He was sarcastic and smart, and definitely not Bruce's type of friend.

Definitely not.

"That will be all," Mrs. Willson said, placing the paper back on her desk. "Well, what are you waiting for? Organize yourselves." There was a scramble to find the best lab seats, while Bruce just stayed where he was. He had no desire to get run over today.

Then Tony sat down next to him.

Tony freaking Stark.

"Hey," Tony said, not looking at him. "So you're Bruce Banner?"

"Yep," Bruce said.

"And I'm stuck with you for the rest of the year," he said.

"Yep," Bruce said again.

"I can't believe we're starting with atoms," Tony complained. "I'd like to do something harder." Bruce tried to ignore him as he wrote down notes in his notebook. "Like maybe we could try something else, like-"

"Can you be quiet?" Bruce hissed through gritted teeth. "I'm trying to work here."

"Sor-ry, Angry Giant," Tony said. "Just trying to make conversation." Bruce rolled his eyes and went back to writing.

-

A month later, their relationship didn't get much better. They only exchanged a few "hello"s and worked together on projects, but only because they were partners.

"Hey, is this right?" Tony asked, pointing to a formula on his paper. Bruce glanced at it and pointed to a symbol.

"This should be the hydrogen atoms," he said.

"Thanks." Tony scribbled something on it with a pen and looked back at the chalkboard.

-

Before Christmas break, they began to warm up to each other.

"Hey, Tones," Bruce said as Tony came into the classroom and sat down.

"Hello, Brucie." Tony put his backpack down and fished out a notebook. "Got any plans for break?"

"No, not really," Bruce replied with a shrug. "You?"

"My dad is planning a Christmas party and is gonna invite the whole neighborhood," Tony said. "I'm planning to stay cooped up in the lab to try and figure out how to make an arc reactor. My dad isn't gonna be happy with me when he finds out."

"Yeesh." Bruce inhaled sharply. "Hope he isn't going to be so hard on you."

"Nah, it'll fine. Probably just another lecture about how to properly spend your Christmas break. I'm used to it," Tony said.