Chapter 12- The Ship

Akechi's POV-

Only a few more minutes. Just a few more and Shido would be dead. He felt a rush of adrenaline flow through him and his hand itch towards the gun hoisted at his side impatiently. He could easily line up the perfect shot from here and have done with it. The deed was so simple, yet the consequences, disastrous. He watched the phantom thieves dart and weave around Shido's gigantic form, attacking with as much brute force as they could muster. In all honesty, their teamwork could be seen as admirable if but pretentious in Goro's eyes. The way in which they all depended on each other didn't sit quite right with Goro.

He saw Joker get knocked off his feet by a powerful swing from Shido and fly through the air before landing gracelessly in a floored position. He could've sworn he saw Joker's eyes cross over his hiding spot briefly and then were fully focused on Shido again who had continued his assault on the rest of the phantom thieves. Goro bit his inner lip, glaring in Jokers direction, he couldn't have seen him. He wasn't wearing his other false outfit and rather bore the black mask. It should be near impossible to see him against the shadows.

"Joker got knocked down, everyone, stay on guard!" Futaba's voice rang out from the inside of her persona. The thieves nodded simultaneously and continued the assault. Goro frowned. These guys were all about having each other's backs, yet they were leaving Joker defenceless and open to getting attacked at any moment. Just as he thought this, a second blow from Shido came pelting towards Joker, hitting him directly in the chest. Joker recoiled, holding a hand to the place where he had been struck and gasping for breath.
"This isn't good! Joker's health is low, someone heal him, quick!" Goro cursed under his breath. They were all a bunch of bumbling fools!

They could clearly see Joker was in no way, any way shape or form able to defend against another hit, but had allowed him to take it head on. Goro winced. He could taste blood. He removed his attention from the fight and slunk into his shadowy corner even further. He shouldn't get so worked up over this. The phantom thieves' substandard ways of fighting were none of his concern. He heard a faint 'thanks' from Joker, meaning that someone had successfully healed his wounds. He sighed. Took them long enough.

If Joker had died out there because of their stupidity... there was a deafening cry and a loud crash causing Goro to jump out of his stupor and peer around the edge of his barrier yet again. Shido's form had crinkled into black, transforming him back into his original form. Goro couldn't entirely make out the words being said, but even just by observing the backs of the phantom thieves, he could feel their anger.
"What about what you did to our leader?!" Ryuji cried loudly and Goro strained to hear the next words. Done to their leader? Had Shido done something specifically to Joker?

"I..." Shido began shakily and Goro leaned closer, all while making sure he was still hidden from sight. "I acknowledge that I incriminated you under false charges... I did it to save my own reputation... I'm sorry for what I did-" Goro fell back. Shido was the reason... Joker had come here because of him. If Shido had never falsely charged him, all of Goro's plans would have come to fruition. He never would have had to shed thought about the Phantom Thieves and what kind of hindrance they might cause him. Not to mention, this very situation he was in now never would've happened. This god forsaken deal with the twin wardens would never have existed.

His thoughts were broken by the sound of a supporting bar breaking off the ceiling and falling a mere 4 feet away from him. He quickly looked back around the corner and saw the thieves quickly grabbing the golden ship wheel out of the air and sprinting as if their lives depended on it. Then his eyes fell on Shido. He seemed to be disappearing, already parts of his face had fallen away.

Once he was certain the phantom thieves had gone he emerged from his hiding spot and made his way over to the man.
"Y-you! You're still-" Shido began as his eyes found Goro, heaving as a large portion of his chest vanished before his eyes,
"Alive? Yes, I am. You on the other hand..." he looked down at Shido, hatred filling every cell in his body, "I don't think you'll be that lucky." Shido didn't respond, but did let out a few grunts of pain. Goro surveyed him indifferently,
"Am I right in presuming that this is the drug developed with Wakaba Ishiki's research..." He paused and nearly laughed out loud, "seems it's not working as proficiently as it ought to, you're sticking around far too long for it to be considered effective." Shido again didn't respond, only causing Goro's fury to rise. He gritted his teeth hard.