Chapter 20- Accusations

Akira took a seat at the bar. He was all alone. Not a single customer in sight, not that he was expecting many to come at this time of day anyway. At least this way he was able to slack off more obviously than he normally would have. Sojiro had left him in charge of the store while he headed out to Shibuya to pick up some specialty coffee beans from a store Akira honestly wouldn't mind taking a trip to. Leaving him in charge of the store seemed a poor choice in Akira's mind. He would've thought Sojiro would have learnt by now.

Although Akira didn't show it very often, he really enjoyed helping with the cafe. He had grown to really love bringing out the flavour in different coffee beans to their full potential. It was too bad he had been left to man the cafe instead of accompanying Sojiro.

Even Goro had abandoned him on the way back to LeBlanc. They had parted ways in Shibuya when Goro had announced he should head back ahead of him. Akira had felt too awkward to ask further so he had simply nodded and watched Goro make his way out of the station and disappear from his sight. He was most likely still frustrated at how the afternoon had ended up. Akira personally wasn't sure which Goro was most angry about, Haru and Makoto leaving before he could plead his case to them or Akira hugging him out of nowhere.

He wished he hadn't done it. He should've just done a simple clap on the shoulder and sent Goro off with a reassuring word, but he hadn't. Instead he had clung onto Goro like some damsel in distress. He groaned and rested his head in his hands. It even would have been better if it had been a simple hug with nothing except their own sadness attached. Well that may have still been true for Goro, but Akira couldn't say the same.

Maybe it was the fact that any contact with Goro was akin to taking a bite of forbidden fruit. Everyone, bar him had never experienced it. But did that explain why he couldn't help wishing that the hug could've been longer or Goro would hold onto his hand for even a second longer than was required?  Probably not.

Just as he was about to delve into territory he didn't much want to visit, he felt his phone buzz and he quickly snatched at it to distract himself from his own thoughts.

Haru: I'm sorry for running out earlier, it was extremely rude of me

Akira's eyes widened. Haru? He felt a little bit happier at the sight of the message. At least she wasn't angry enough to cold shoulder him.

Akira: don't worry about it, are you alright? Was it something I did?

Haru: reasonably, and about that. I just want to know whether you and Akechi are up to anything?

Shit. Akira took a moment to respond,somehow trying to come up with the best possible response.

Akira: it's not anything ill willed

Haru: so you won't deny it

Haru: I do believe you, but I can't help but feel quite unnerved about you working on something secret with him. I would have thought you would mention it to all of us...

Haru: Frankly, I don't trust Akechi. You should be careful considering what he's capable of

Akira: thanks for worrying Haru, I'll be careful and I promise there is a reason I haven't said anything, I'm sorry I really can't say.

Akira cursed. That sentence sounded so bad. He wished he could tell Haru and everyone what was going on, but he had promised... and there was no telling what consequences there would be for Goro if he did divulge it. Haru didn't respond to that.

Akira still felt as though he was missing something. Something Haru was not telling him. This didn't explain why she would have left in such a hurry. There must've been something distressing enough for her to even think about leaving so abruptly. Then something came back to him. When he and Goro had come back, Haru was suddenly distressed and had run off with Makoto. Before that she had given Goro's glove back. Was that a significant detail?