If only-Fitz's POV

A/N: If you were here before, there WAS fanart there, but I don't know where I found it, (because it's been forever) and I don't know how to credit, so it's gone. :)

The flames.

They were gone. 

I was just staring at the spot of blackness that had disappeared, and now, the flames. 

They were gone.

I was surrounded by the people closest to me, and yet, everyone was in their own little world, but staring at the scene in front of us. 

It was like the shadows exploded. 

Or they poured from Tam like roaring waves from a dam that just broke. 

Either way, the flames were gone. 

The shadows had consumed them, and only wisps of smoke remained. 

Linh had stepped off the island and into the water, and the rippling pool parted for her. 

She glided across the dry ground, a goddess, and the rest of us just shuffled along after her. 

As soon as the last of us stepped onto the ground that was aflame just moments ago, Linh dropped the cool pretense of a heavenly being and ran to the source of the shadows. 

Grady and Edaline followed her swiftly, but I just stood there, gazing at the shadows that were slithering along the ashes of life. 

Tam is powerful.

Maybe even more powerful than Linh is. 

Shaking my head clear of these thoughts, I ran to Sophie and Tam, who were being held by their family, and I wasn't apart of the tearful reunion. 

Maybe I'll never be.

I thought as I gazed upon the sight of love. 

Sophie had burns across her face and neck, on every inch of the skin that I could see. 

Grady had taken off his cloak and covered Sophie's burns with it, as Edaline sobbed, her hand hovering over her adopted daughter's skin, not wanting cause Sophie more pain than she was already in. 

Tam was in a better state, but looking at what remained of his cloak, boots, and even his skin, I wasn't sure if he was going to walk again. 

And it's all my fault.

If I had grabbed Sophie's hand in time, moved a second earlier, maybe they woudn't be suffering right now. 

If I had gone with them to the Neverseen hideout, maybe things would have turned out differently. 

Maybe Fintan wouldn't have had a chance to take Sophie and Tam on separately. 

Maybe the castle wouldn't have burned down. 

Maybe things would have turned out differently.

And maybe it wouldn't be my fault. 

Guilt, tremendous, overwhelming guilt crashed in me, rolling around.

Every emotion I had was consumed with the umber purpleness of guilt. 

It gnawed at my heart, filled my lungs, corroded my stomach, shattered my brain. 

I felt myself falling, I saw a bottomless abyss swallow me whole, and I let it. 

If only things had turned out differently. 

A/N: Soooooo...... Fitz broke. I probably didn't write that very well, but I think you guys get the point. We shall see if he ever recovers....