Chapter 5: Final Selection

Tanjiro groaned in pain before sitting up and stretching a little, then rubbing his eyes open.

He looked around and noticed a little girl crouching down next to him. He also saw that Sachiko was asleep, curled up on his lap, smaller than her original size.

He smiled at the sight of her asleep, patting her head before turning towards the little girl.

She gave him a soft smile.

~

Sachiko nuzzled her face more into the fabric, hearing two people talking. She felt a hand pet her head, nuzzling into the touch.

Hearing Tanjiro chuckle, she turned her face upwards and fluttered her eyes open.

Tanjiro was looking down at her with his signature gentle smile. Sachiko smiled under her muzzle and sat up, looking around her surroundings.

She noticed they were where the boulder was, and it was morning. She turned to her right and saw the same girl, now in a crouching position.

The girl waved at her and Sachiko just waved back.
Sachiko pulled down the muzzle, tired of her mouth being in the same position.

Tanjiro cautiously watched her, trusting her but not knowing if her hunger was getting to her. Sachiko turned to Tanjiro and tried to speak.

"T-tan...jiro.."

She spoke in a whisper, seeing it that she practically almost forgot how to speak. Sachiko frowned and put the bamboo muzzle back in it's spot.

Tanjiro chuckled and pat her on the head.

"Good job Sachiko~ You can practice some more later~"

Sachiko closed her eyes in satisfaction towards the pats, nuzzling closer to his hand, humming. Tanjiro smiled even more at this before putting his hand down, standing up.

"Sachiko!"

She opened her eyes and turned towards the voice, it was Urokodaki. He gestured her to come with him.

She glanced at Tanjiro before getting up and skipping towards Urokodaki. He pat her on the head before taking her to the usual training spot.

~

Sachiko was sitting underneath a tree, watching Tanjiro struggle to slice the boulder in half. (For like, the 80th time.)

Tanjiro kneeled down infront of it, panting. Sachiko frowned. She walked over to him and pat him on the head, the same way he would do when she was visibly upset.

He gave her a quick smile before standing back up, trying once more. She sat back down and looked up at the sky, seeing the moon glow upon them.

Timeskip to 6 months later~

~
Sachiko was patting Nezuko on the head, before hearing a door slam open in the other room. She tensed up a bit, before slowly sliding the door open, seeing Tanjiro and Urokodaki hugging.

Tanjiro turned his head towards Sachiko and gestured her to join. She tilted her head and trotted over to them, wrapping her arms around the duo.

Sachiko was sitting down, occasionally helping Tanjiro cut his hair after it grew so long. Urokodaki was preparing a feast for Tanjiro and him.

Sachiko kept patting him on the head, admiring at how short his hair was. Tanjiro chuckled before patting her on the head, watching as she nudged into his hand.

Urokodaki smiled underneath his mask, watching as the scene played out infront of him. He handed Tanjiro a bowl full of noodles with add ins.

Tanjiro took the bowl, thanking him for it and started eating. When he looked over at Sachiko, he noticed that she was asleep, leaning her head on his shoulder.