06

MICHAEL CLIFFORD

-

Monday at school, Calum, Ash and Luke fondled with my hair as I arrived at school.

“Why the sudden hair change?” Luke broke the silence and asked first.

“It’s like a flamingo.” Ashton followed, “A party flamingo‘

“Are you gay?” Calum out of the three asked last.

I shook my head at Calum’s question and looked out the window, Alyssa was no where to be seen.

“Where’s Alyssa?” I asked, they all shook their head, her spot was empty.

Out the window, there was a big fuss in the hallway, I looked out, a bunch of boys from the other class were waiting in front of our classroom door.

“What is happening out there?” Calum asked, walking out the classroom to see, the second he saw what the fuss was about, he cussed, “Oh shit.”

Alyssa pushed through Calum and walked in to the classroom.

She was blonde.

She bleached her hair, although you can still see her roots, other than that, she was as blonde as someone could be.

Million of questions raced through my head, but as she sat down behind me, my friends and I’s jaws dropped open and stared at her, speechless.

“What are you looking at it?” She blinked, “Hand in your worksheets from last night.”

Till this day, it was something that I never figured out about Alyssa, but from that moment and forward, I realized Alyssa wasn’t just any good girl, she was different, almost normal, but she was the elite out of them.

I remember it was a december day, I sat there in the front with my pink hair, she sat behind me with her blonde hair, everyone in the class was looking at us and we pretended it was just another day.

It really wasn’t any different from before.

Starting from that day, studying became more of a thing I just did, I didn’t need Alyssa to force me anymore.

“Alyssa?” I asked, as I handed her my worksheets, she looked up at me.

“Yah?’

“I like your hair.” She smiled at me.

Her smile is still in my head sometimes, and the way she laughs, oh my.

Little did sixteen year old me knew, I began falling for her even though I was trying to fight it.