08

MICHAEL CLIFFORD

-

The pay phone at universities are the worst.

I couldn’t afford to be a new phone like everyone else had, a fancy flip phone, slamming it shut when you were done with a conversation. So I had to wait in line to use one of the three pay phones at our building. Picture this, twenty four friend-zoned teenage boys trying to use the phone so they could talk to their ‘best friend’ and then there’s the lucky ones who actually have girlfriends and makes kissing noises at the phone when it’s their turn.

For the few weeks since University started, I spent all my changes on her, calling her again and again, every night at the same time.

My chances with Alyssa was like snow melting under the sun, it was getting slimmer by seconds but I realized something, some people are worth melting for.

Alyssa was one of them.

-

“So, how’s Berkley?” I asked, my fingers twirling on the phone line like a teenage girl. “Any famous parties like I’ve heard?”

“Well if studying till two in the morning with your room mates that barely speak English counts as a party, then yes.” She giggled, “How’s So-Cal?”

“You know, lot of blondes who all look the same, same shade of tan, same nose, same lips and same body.” I replied, it was true, where we lived before, it was a small town in California, not counting Calum, the entire neighborhood was white people.

“Pretty sure they’re all prettier than me.” She said, I could imagine her pouting at the other end of the phone.

“No, c’mon, Alyssa, you know you’re the prettiest girl I’ve ever met.” I said, and I could instantly hear the smile on her face.

“Michael you sure know how to make a girl happy.” She said.

The guy behind me was groaning and tapping his feet as he waiting for me to get off the phone.

“Hey, uh, Alyssa?” I asked, my voice was slightly shaking, “What are you doing for Thanksgiving break?”

Silence came from the other end of the phone, I lightly sighed as I covered the speakers of the phone with my hand, I guess it was a no.

“Nothing, why ask?” She finally replied, the rock that was hanging in my chest finally lets loose, “You want to hang out?”

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

“Yeah, sure, of course, why not?” I said, I could hear myself and I sounded like a total idiot.

Oh god, Michael.

“Okay, I will e-mail you? It’s kind of late and I have a lecture in the morning tomorrow.”

“Sure, get some rest, Alyssa.” I said softly in to the phone, having the phone pressed against my cheek as if doing that would keep her here longer.

“Good night, Michael.” She said, her voice lingering for a bit longer when saying ‘night’.

-

Thanksgiving break was always the worst, spending time with family but getting to see Alyssa mixed things up a bit. We planned on to go to a walk through chinatown and get some food there, it wasn’t a romantic spot it was one of our favorite places to go in high school.

As I was walking towards the Starbucks in chinatown where we were suppose to meet, I spotted Alyssa. Same with me, Alyssa and I were both freakishly tall, the blonde in her hair was still there since she entirely bleached her hair and she was wearing a leather, a maroon colored dress, and a pair of doc martens that every seem to like these days. Alyssa was holding a grande Starbucks cup on each of her hands, and her hair was tied up in to a sleek pony tail hanging loosely on her back.

“Hey.” I said, jogging up to her, “Been waiting for long?”

She breaks in to a smile as soon as she sees me and she hands me the Starbucks cup, “Not really.”

“Shall we go?” I asked, she wrapped her arms around mine as we walk slowly down the street.

We stopped by all the places we’ve been to, even the ones we’ve only been there for once, I don’t know how but it almost felt like we were saying goodbye to these places.

One of the new activities they had in China town was sky lantern.

“You write down your wishes on it, and let it go, in to the sky.” The old lady said behind the counter, “Ten dollar and your dreams come true.”

I paid her and she brought us to the back of the stores, several couples were there on the desk, writing their dreams with a marker, we joined them and I picked out a sheer white lantern and moved to the end of the store.

“What’s your wish?” Alyssa asked as she tries to peak at what I was writing, I covered what I was writing and pouted.

“Only if you show me yours first.” I challenged, she shook her head and let out a devilish smile.

“Nope, guess we’re not seeing each other’s then.” 

We carried out our lantern outside and as we were waiting for the lantern to be lit so it can fly up in to the sky, carrying our wishes.

“Michael? Do you remember, a few months ago, you asked me who I liked?” She broke the silence and asked me, “Do you want to know the answer now?”

“No.” She looked at me, with confusion in her eyes, “I don’t want to know.”

“But-”

“Please don’t tell me, please let me continue liking you like this.” I begged, “We both know it wouldn’t be the same after the chase is over, please don’t tell me, Alyssa, okay?”  

“Okay.” 

The old lady came and lit the lantern up, we both let go of it and watched it slowly fly up in to the sky, lastly disappearing from our sight.