Chapter 4

"

Morning Governor" The Guardian, who looked after Nickolai greets her, as she walks into the building, unannounced.

She didn't visit or check up on Nickolai, at anytime until now. When she needed him. When she wanted something from him. What exactly could a six-year-old, give her?

The governor ignores the greeting and jumps straight to why she was there – straight to the point.

Looking around, she takes in everything before she strolls over towards the noise; the screaming, yelling, crying and shouting. Stepping through a small corridor, she stops and stares into a large playgroup setting. Toys, tables and all sorts of miscellaneous things you'd find at your local daycare scattered around by the spoilt little brats.

"Tell me, everything I need to know about Nickolai" The Governor carefully asks – her voice low and stern, never looking at her as she speaks. Hoping the woman wouldn't start blabbing on about him and just tell her what she needed to know.

Some of the guardians grew attachments to the children; and rightfully so, they've mothered them for six years, and now it was time to let them go.

The Guardian's eyes watch the young half-elf, as he perched himself high on one of the bookshelves – she's had enough with arguing with him – She would find him up there, all the time. Hidden, away from the others, isolated and off in his own world. Staring out the window, with his scruffy thick crimson hair; she'd find him occasionally tugging his hair to cover his ears. There was also, a thicker part at the back that would consistently remain vertical, and reach for the sky. He hated it, but no matter what he tried he couldn't flatten it. Whilst his hair frustrated him, he grew fond of it.

Then, there were his eyes – the most distinctive thing when you look at him – Those odd eyes, and vibrant, diverse shades, so bright and enchanting.

Anyone could get lost in his eyes, they were just so stunning, but it's what he was ashamed of almost as much as his ears. Those elegant elven ears, longer than most elves in the past. He was unique, in more ways than one.

He's different, not like the others. Whether that was the rare blood rushing through his veins, or not? She didn't know, but he was a lovely boy none the less.

She softly sighs, and turns to face The Governor's motionless face, she constantly looked so dull in the eyes, as if there was no soul only madness. It frightened her a lot, and she wasn't alone on that emotion towards her. The Guardian's heart had been sinking, the moment The Governor entered the room. She knew this day would come, she dreaded it. Each second that passed was only moving closer to the moment, she had to let him go, and each second, she thought about it, her throat would tighten, and tears would threaten her. However, she managed to bite back the hoarse feeling in her throat and do as she was told.

"He's very smart, reliable, fast and a sharp listener" The Guardian starts, "he's shy, he's constantly bullied by the others for being different" She adds on, dropping her shoulders in a huff. A hint of sadness spreading across her face, she couldn't stand seeing him or any of the others being treated so harshly for being who they are.

It falls silent for a moment until a soft hum leaves the governors closed lips, as she watched him carefully.

"He's perfect" She finally states, with a malicious smile curving her lips while she watched him. He was already wounded, in more ways than one. He was perfect, easy to manipulate and shape.

"A-are you taking him now?" The Guardian breathes, hoping he wasn't leaving just yet – but by the look in the Governor's eyes, she was determined and ready to take the boy for her own biddings.