one | when the rain slows down

"Keep sweeping, girl."

You wiped the sweat from your brow and replied to your boss, "Yes, sir."

It was summertime in Yorknew City. The days were long and humid, and the nights were often filled with storms that shook the foundation of the small abandoned building you claimed as your home about three weeks ago.

Your hands worked the broom over the old wooden floors of the shop quickly, picking up stray dust and cat hair. After about of week of searching for work when you first arrived at Yorknew City, you finally found a little job here at Goro's Shop. Goro had you do simple things around his shop. He had you clean, feed that fat orange cat of his, take out the trash, and handle sales outside on busy days. The pay wasn't amazing, but it was enough to get by.

You used the money you earned sparsely, for food and a few articles of clothing only. In a year from now, you promised yourself that you would use the money you were saving to get to the Hunter exam and become a licensed Hunter. For now, all you could do was lay low, work, and train with your katana when you were free.

"(Y/N)," Goro grumbled as a sat in his stool by the register smoking a cigarette and reading the paper.

"Yes?"

Without looking up he pointed to the sales tent in front of the store, "Run sales outside for me today, alright? It's going to be a busy day today, so I'll pay you a little extra if you stay later."

The more money you earned, the better, "Alright. Thank you, sir."

With a gruff of acknowledgment, he dismissed you and you made your way outside.

You didn't particularly mind working outside, but there was a ghost of anxiety always present in your mind when you were out in the open. What if someone recognized you? You were almost positive there was a bounty out there for your collection posted by dear old Dad. You pulled your red scarf lower on your head to cover your eyes. They can't find you, just as long as you don't use your healing.

"Um, excuse me, Miss?"

A pretty woman with long blonde hair and a ruffled mint dress stood at the other side of the booth holding a glass vase that matched the color of her dress. Heh, that has to be her favorite color or something.

"Can I buy this vase here? Or do I have to go inside?" She inquired, raising her eyebrow as she looked around the booth.

You gave her a small smile, "I can ring you up here. Let me bag it for you."

The woman paid for her mint vase and walked away into the crowd.

"Oi, (y/n)!" Goro yelled out to you from inside, "Don't give bags to every customer today! They're expensive. Give away all of my bags and it's your paycheck!"

You rolled your eyes before turned around and saying, "Okay, sir."

Goro was right, there were a lot more people shopping around today than usual. By five in the afternoon, you had already sold more than 40 items from his shop. Sweat drenched your hairline and the heat drained you of your energy but you knew that it was worth the money.

"Hey, Goro?" You inquired as the crowd of people bustled between shops.

He looked up at you from his paper, "What is it, kid?"

"Why are there so many people shopping around today? Is there some kind of holiday that I don't know about?"

He sighed and looked back down, "No. I saw a lot of ships at the port this morning, figured there were probably a lot of tourists in town."