six | another link

You walked alongside Kurapika in the forest in silence. It was peaceful. Sunlight filtered through the fern leaves on the trees overhead, illuminating the lighter strands of blonde in Kurapika's hair. Occasionally, his earring would sparkle in the light too, causing you to get distracted and eye it in wonder.

"(Y/n)," Kurapika called and tilted his head to a tree with football-shaped pods on it by a stream, "the cocoa beans are in that tree."

You smiled at him again and nodded, "Oh. For some reason, I thought it would be harder to find them."

Together, you and Kurapika began to pluck the pods from the tree and throw it into a basket Mito had given to Kurapika.

"So, (Y/N), you're not from around here are you?" Kurapika asked while placing the pods in the basket.

You stopped plucking and quirked a brow at him, "How'd you guess?"

Kurapika shrugged but didn't turn to look at you, "You said that you thought the cocoa beans would be hard to find, when in fact they're very common on this island."

You smiled and turned back to picking, "Yeah, I haven't been here very long. I don't know too much about Whale Island, even though this is actually my second time on the island." You let out a small chuckle.

Kurapika turned to you and raised one of his blonde brows, "Second?"

You let out a small 'mhmm' of confirmation before jumping into an explanation of how you met Gon, and then Killua and Alluka while simultaneously picking the pods from the cocoa tree. By the time you were done explaining, the basket was full.

Kurapika was slightly disappointed by your story. There was no obvious correlation between you and his clan.

Kurapika looked down at his basket, "I see." After thinking to himself for a moment, he whipped his head back up to look at you. "(Y/N)?"

"Yeah?"

His eyes, once soft yet guarded, became hard and cold as stone. "I noticed that you've been looking at my earring all day. Do you recognize it?"

You bit your lip and looked down at your feet, feeling slightly guilty for making him uncomfortable, "Gomen, Kurapika. I didn't mean to stare...I do recognize it. It's a Kurta gem right?"

Kurapika immediately took a threatening step forward, his eyes becoming a soft red. "How do you know about Kurta Gems?"

Your eyes widened when you looked up to see his hard red ones. You raised your hands slightly in defense, backing away from the closeness that he created between the two of you. "I-I actually wanted to talk to you about that." You gulped and looked away from him, desperately wanting to break the tension. "Do you mind if we sit?" You asked hesitantly while gesturing to two medium-sized boulders by the stream.

Hesitantly, Kurapika broke his stance and followed you to sit on the rocks. You wrung your hands nervously as you watched the stream shimmer in the sunlight. His aura, he's so angry...I should get straight to the point before he gets frustrated.

"My mother," You whispered to him softly while looking back up to his eyes, "she had a pair of earrings just like yours. She was a member of the Kurta clan."

The hard look in his eyes immediately softened as he watched you speak.

"Her name was (Y/M/N), maybe you knew her? She was away from the clan for most of her life, she only returned with me when I was young, right before she passed away. She took me there to train. She taught me nen there, away from my father. She gave me my Katana there and taught me how to use it. She taught me to be kind and always care for others...." Your vision began to blur with thick tears. "Gomenasai, Kurapika. If I wasn't with my father that night...that night they were killed, maybe I could have saved them. My mother told me that since I have the power to heal those in danger, I should always save people when I can...but I didn't."