Chapter One: Prelude (Amelia Harper)

IMPORTANT- The title of each chapter is who's perspective the chapter is in. Also, thank you so so much for reading! Seeing that more and more people are discovering my writing makes me so happy! Thank you for your time and I hope you enjoy!

I walked through the hallways of my school staring down at the ground. I've been here for so long and it's all about to change. I held my book tightly and continued walking, finding my way through the hallway by following the feet in front of us.

"So...You're really going, Amelia?" Maggie, my best friend questioned. I looked up at her.

"Yeah," I muttered. I was born into a family of 12. We've been living in a two bedroom apartment for as long as I can remember. My parents had never got any form of college education so our income wasn't much help. My dad had gotten a new job opportunity in Oregon, so we we're to move out of New York by the end of May. "Not yet. We've still got time."

Five months turned into five days. Eventually I was gone. My whole life shifted. Maggie and I started drifting farther apart. We sent texts about once a month, then nothing. It felt like I knew her in a different life time. Eventually it became so long since we spoke that our memories together faded. Life moved on by itself. I worked at a Starbucks part time as I got my way through high school. I was able to work my way through college. My family and I started to become more distant and I was completely fascinated by the city. Oregon was a completely different experience compared to the busy pace in New York. I worked late and long shifts at the hospital till I was able to get myself to New York. It was a great feeling to be back where I belong.

One day I was walking down the street when I bumped into a boy. His grin was brighter than the sun. He seemed to have such a confident way to him. He walked with pride. That one crash changed my life. I know it sounds cliché, but there was nothing more I loved in that moment than him. He was a gentleman. We talked for a bit and exchanged numbers. 20 hours on the phone turned into dozens of coffeeshop and beach trips. My life was piecing itself together. I felt like he was the one. He was going to be the one I spent my life with.

Boy, was I wrong.