Longing

The iridescent lights, symbolic Christmas ornaments neatly decorated the house, giving it a joyful, cozy vibe. In the middle of the living room, where once stood a coffee table, was placed a lush green Christmas spruce that was about two meters tall, and on top, a golden star was peacefully aligned. The tree's branches were decorated with as white as a snow angelic figurines whilst a few branches shined in the glimmering light, symbolizing the most important family time of the year - Christmas Eve.

Next to the Christmas tree stood a wide, Dalbergia table on which was placed various types of dishes, a few top-notch alcohol drinks, and a festive cake. Next to the table sat two individuals; a father and a son. 

The older gracefully took the glass wine in his hand and brought it closer to his lips, engulfing it. He twirled the glass in his hands, making the wine inside swirl and put it down. Without averting his gaze from the transparent mirror, he inquired, "Where is Yibo?"

"He is getting ready, father," 

"What is that kid doing in his room for so long? Go and fetch him, the food is getting cold," exclaimed Lan Qi Ren.

"Yes, father," Lan Haikuan complied, stood from his chair, and hiked up the stairs to the second floor, walking straight to Wang Yibo's room. When Lan Haikuan was close to the younger's door, he faintly knocked on it, "Yibo? Is everything okay? We're waiting for you,"

When no answer responded, Lan Haikuan opened the door and stepped inside, his eyes falling on the boy, sitting on the edge of the bed. Wang Yibo was dressed neatly, his hair brushed back as his wrists were covered with a few expensive-looking bracelets. He was tightly gripping his phone in his palms, intensely staring at it without averting his eyes from the metal object as if not realizing that someone entered the room. 

"Yibo..." Lan Haikuan faintly murmured.

That seemed to pull the boy out of his daze as he lifted his head up, staring at his older brother, "Brother, what's the matter?"

"Why are you staring at your phone?" Lan Haikuan inquired.

"No reason," he retorted and swiftly shoved the cellphone in his pocket.

If Wang Yibo could be honest with his brother, he would tell the latter that he was missing Xiao Zhan. As it was already Christmas and both of them haven't seen each other for long months, he was reluctant if it was acceptable to send the professor Merry Christmas wishes. After all, this day is supposed to be a family day and his family always keeps to the traditions. However, he wasn't brave enough to tell Lan Haikuan, that deep inside, no matter how much time passed, his feelings for Xiao Zhan never ceased as he was missing him every single day from the moment he left to take care of his father's business. 

"Let's go," Wang Yibo spoke as he stood from the bed and trudged closer to his brother, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. Both guys walked back to the table, where their father sat, and took their appointed seats.

The family ate in peace only cutlery slightly scrapping on the plates as well as the sound of glass banging on the table. Wang Yibo was about to finish his dinner, deep in his thoughts, till his father's voice distracted him, "Yibo, how is Bichen holding up?

"I took care of the most important documents, father, and Park Hyung-Sik was helpful for me to get used to the new environment,"

Lan Qi Ren faintly smiled, "Did he take good care of you?"

Wang Yibo nodded, "Yes, he's like an older brother to me,"

"Good, I am proud of you son," Lan Qi Ren said as he brought the wine glass back to his lips and gulped the liquid down, "You still need to finish your studies, Yibo, and as I am already better, I am planning to go back to the company."