Chapter 5

There were dozens of high-class citizens sitting around circular tables covered with foods, drinks, and fruits of all kinds. The tables almost looked like they would fall over from the weight of its wares. Similar to Kali, gold and silver jangled and jingled on their arms, and legs, neck and waist. It was almost blinding to see them all decked out in their glorious formal wear.

An announcer came on stage with Kali, and started his spiel. "Welcome to you all. This is a glorious event indeed. We are lucky to have another one of the beauties of the slums gracing us with her presence. Look at her, just look at her. Have you seen such a gorgeous presence on this stage before?"

Kali was surprised. She had expected him to be cruel about her. And to her. But he was actually being kind. She wondered why. Confused, she stood there, waiting for them to throw rotten food at her, and hurl insults in her direction.

But they did nothing of the sort.

"As you all know, members of the high caste are always looking for ways to alleviate the burdens of the low caste citizens. Unfortunately, due to the tight restrictions by the dictatorial governments, we cannot really give away money or other presents to them directly. Thus, we have come up with this unusual method to support our less fortunate compatriots."

Kali felt dizzy all of a sudden. What was this person saying? She had come to this planet believing that the rich citizens of this country were horrible, grotesque creatures, who were out to get everyone beneath them. But this seemed like an entirely different story. Was she mistaken? She didn't want to make a move against them, until she saw them committing some truly heinous act.

"How about we take these metal restraints off of her first? What do you say to that?" The crowd roared with approval, and a second later, she was free. She could breathe easily again, and finally, she was able to think straight.

She realized she had made a terrible mistake - this thought went through ger head over and over again. What was she going to do now?

"You must be hungry, my dear. How about you and I share a meal at first, and then we can have the interview that we were all waiting for...?" Kali nodded, because there was nothing else for her to say. She was hungry for food, but more than that she was hungry for information. Maybe the conversation whilst eating would be able to throw some light upon this situation that she had completely misread. Were these people actually saints? Were they actually trying to go around their government's restrictions and change their world in their own way? Were they actually caring, soulful, generous beings?

A couple of helpers brought a table and two chairs to the stage. And then plates of food appeared onto the table. They stood by Kali, and served her whatever she asked for. Beans, yes, of course, here you go, madam. One more helping of rice? Yes indeed, here you are, ma'am.

She ate with gusto. And while she ate, she noticed that everyone else ate with gusto as well. They had food on their plate, and they ate the meats and the rice and the vegetables with enthusiasm, and grace.

A soup tureen was placed on the table and the heavenly smell of broth wafted up to her nose. Oh my gosh, what was this divine smell? She had to have some, she thought to herself.

Seeing her eyes light up at the soup, the helper next to her poured a generous helping into her bowl. It was vegetable soup, mostly root vegetables, and it was delicious. She slurped the soup noisily, because her taste buds were being assaulted with a barrage of tastes and her brain cells were confused by all of the endorphins rushing through them.

The broth was perfectly seasoned. There was salt and pepper, of course. But also, all kinds of spices, and herbs, that made the clear broth taste better than anything she had ever had before. She asked for a second and then third helping, which her helper gave generously.