They Don't Know About Us: First-Year Part 4

Chapter 4:

First Year students' first flying lesson is being held outside. The class is primarily Gryffindor and Slytherin students lined up in two rows facing each other with their brooms on the ground.

The professor of the class is Madam Hooch. She comes down between the two rows while greeting, "Good afternoon, class."

"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch," they greeted back.

"Welcome to your first flying lesson," she tells them smiling. "Well, what are you waiting for?" she asked. "Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick. Come on now, hurr up." Students followed. "Stick your right hand over the broom and say "Up!"."

"Up!" Phoenix follows the instructions and immediately her broom goes up to her hand.

Harry processed as well and successfully made it. "Whoa," he grins.

Hermione stares at him as the others are trying to do what she told them to do.

"Up!" Draco says and his broomstick quickly goes up to his hand as well, then smugly grins.

"With feeling!" Madame Hooch tells the ones who are struggling with their brooms.

"Up, up, up, up," Hermione repeats over and over, getting a little annoyed.

"Up!!" Ron exclaims and his broom flies up, conking him on the nose. "Ow!"

Harry laughs at this.

"Shut up, Harry," Ron tells him.

Harry laughs again.

"Now," Madam Hooch says once everyone got their brooms, "once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it and grip it tight. You don't want to be sliding off the end." They followed her directions. "When I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off the ground, hard. Keep your broom steady, hover for a moment, and then lean forward slightly and touch back down. On my whistle....three...two...." She blows it.

Suddenly, one Gryffindor boy, Neville Longbottom, immediately lifts off the ground, looking rather frightened of the uncontrollable broom.

"Mr. Longbottom," Hooch calls for him.

"Don't panic," Phoenix tried to reason with him, "you need to control it to bring yourself down."

Unfortunately, he begins to soar off uncontrollably.

Madam Hooch calls for him again, but no use.

Phoenix feels her heart racing as she is starting to feel that familiar feeling. She looks down at her left hand to see her eagle feather prickly out of her pale flesh. Taking deep and long breaths seem to help out as she hides her hand behind her back.

Longbottom soars through and ends up hitting a hall. He screams and somehow gets back towards the class.

Madam Hooch holds out her wand, hoping to stop it.

"Help!" he screams out.

"Mr. Longbottom!" Madam Hooch calls out to him.

Students scatter out of the way from the ongoing out of control broomstick.

Draco pulls Phoenix into his arms as if he's protecting her. She looks at him a little confused and he's a little confused as well of why would he do this.

Eventually, Neville stops, but ends up dropping down to the ground, ripping his cloak.

Madam Hooch runs over to check on Neville's aid when Draco's grip tightens a little.