They Don't Know About Us: First-Year Part 21

Chapter 21:

The Slytherin friends lit up when they saw green banners with snakes on them all around the ceiling as they entered the Great Hall for the End of the Year Feast.

"Green is such a beautiful colour," Phoenix comments, looking at the banners with a smile.

"Yea," Draco agrees, but he wasn't looking at the banners when he said that. He was looking at his best friend smiling a little.

All of the students begin to fill up the Hall in their house tables and wearing their full school robes as everyone chatter among themselves.

Dumbledore who sits at the head of the staff table nods over to McGonagall.

She dings her glasses just loud enough for the talking to die down.

The headmaster rose up from his seat to make announcements. "Another year gone," he begins. "And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding, and the point stands thus. In fourth place, Gryffindor with three hundred and twelve points." Clapping is heard as Potter and Hermione hide their heads in embarrassment. "Third place, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty two points." Clapping again.

"Draco, we're getting closer," Phoenix whispers to him with a smile.

He smirks back, nodding his head, knowing it too.

"In second place, Ravenclaw, with four hundred and twenty six points." Clapping is heard again. "And in the first place, with four hundred and seventy two points, Slytherin House."

Slytherin House cheers along in victory as Professor Snape joins in the clapping.

"Nice one, Mates!" Draco smiles at his friends.

"Yes, yes, well done Slytherin," the headmaster congratulated the House. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

"Wait, what?" Phoenix thinks to herself, confused.

"And I have a few last minute points to award," Dumbldore says as the Gryffindor students look up. "To Miss Phoenix Emberson," he turns to the Slytherin table, "for showing the importance of Magical Creature Equality and nursing the creatures back to health. Fifty points will be added to Slytherin."

Slytherin House cheers, but Phoenix looks at her headmaster with an eyebrow raised, sensing a catch. Draco and Professor Snape see this too.

"To Miss Hermione Granger, for the use of cool intellect when others were in great peril, fifty points," Dumbledore speaks again, announcing.

Harry pats her shoulder while smiling, "Good job."

"Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess," Weasley looks at Potter while mouthing "Me?", which Harry nods, mouthing back "You!", "that Hogwarts has seen these many years....fifty points." Phoenix does not look happy about this. "And third, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House sixty points." Cheering from Gryffindor. "And finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your anemones, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award another sixty points to Neville Longbottom."

Another Gryffindor cheer.

Neville is in disbelief of the announcement and just sits there while the cheering gets louder.

Slytherin wasn't having it.

"Assuming that my calculations are correct," Dumbledore speaks, "I believe that a change of direction is in order." He claps a couple of times. The beautiful green banners change into Gryffindor red and yellow. "Gryffindor wins the House Cup!"