Chapter 45

I ran as fast as I could. I pushed my legs until they screamed, then I pushed even harder. I kept going at fun speed until I was certain that I was off his land, and then some. I splashed through freezing cold streams and stomped on thorns. I sprinted from those dense trees, into vast meadows, then raced across the pavement of a lonely highway. And I didn't dare look back once.

I couldn't hold my top speed for long, but when my pace seemed to lag I became angry with myself and exerted everything I had left in me. I had to get away. The more distance I put between Sebastian and myself the more likely he was to get away. And God, he had to get away from me because I was toxic, vile, when he was all things wonderful and kind. It seemed that the tables had turned on me in highest form of cruel irony.

The sun that had been high in the sky when I burst out of the home dove downward at an alarming rate. My lungs felt like they were going to burst and the human in me reasoned that I needed to slow down. I needed water and food. I couldn't push myself like this with nothing to fuel my body and I had already been running for hours. I wasn't sure if I would  be able to hunt, it had been years since I tried and I hadn't been very successful back then either. It had been a long time since I trained as well. My body wasn't used to this kind of exertion. 

But, it wouldn't have mattered either way. My wolf was driven to get as far away from her mate as possible. I wouldn't be able to stop to lick my bleeding paws, to take a drink of water, or to find something to eat. I would run until I couldn't anymore. 

And that moment came rather quickly. My strides became shorter, choppier. My wolf let out a disgusted howl, like she was frustrated that she couldn't demand more of her body. But, after the strained scream left the lungs, dizziness and a wobbly mind swept it. It seemed that no matter how much she slowed now, getting in a full lung of breath was impossible, or simply not enough. 

As much as my wolf was driven to move forward the basic, primal instincts kicked in, overriding her. There was miles of distance between myself and my mate now. I had been running for hours and it would take even longer to get back. Sebastian was safe, at least for now. Which meant that I needed to focus on myself and my body's urgent demands.

And right now, I needed water. But, with all of the swamps and creeks and stream I had splashed through, the world suddenly seemed so parched around me. I was nearing the mountains. The soft dirt had been replaced by sheer rocks and nothing to hold fluid. My tongue darted out, licking my lips as I strained my ears, hoping that i would hear water in the distance. I didn't.

Panting and weary, I had no choice but to push on. The sun would be rising soon and if I didn't have water by noon the spring time heat would be enough to sear me. I groaned and took shaky steps, hoping for any water, even a dirty puddle.

It never came. 

And just as the sun was starting to rise my bruised and battered paws could take no more. My legs gave out. I only let out a whimper as I descended to the ground.

When I woke up again I felt like my organs were all tightening within my body. God, I needed water. With a low grunt I tried to push my legs beneath me. They only wobbled and gave out.

"Stay down, Char," Sebastian murmured. His voice was so soothing and melodic, like silk swiping my skin.

I let out a huff and crumpled willingly. My eyes stayed shut, even as I felt something trickle down my face. My tongue darted out, lapping up the moisture. Water. Thank God. It continued on for a few seconds, then stopped.

"Rest, we'll get you back home soon enough, once you're able to walk to the car."

When I woke up again I groaned and snuggled against the hard chest that was distinctly Sebastian's. My fingers curled into the soft material of his shirt, pulling him closer to me as I tried to fade back into sleep. Just a few more minutes and I would be able to conquer the day.