Chapter 49

Two days later my mind was plagued with dreams again. I couldn't remember them at all, but it meant that my time with Sebastian was coming to a close, at least for the time being. I would have to wait until I was dream free again. But, oddly enough, it didn't make me sad.

My mind was elsewhere this morning. I knew that I would have to keep my distance from Sebastian and that hurt, especially since we were fully bond now, both of us marked and mated. But I still hummed when I brewed myself a cup of tea and made myself a bowl of cereal. As I chewed on my food my mind kept drifting to my parents. 

But, I wasn't thinking about how they kicked me out and expelled me to live with someone that they assumed was a murderer. I wasn't concerned that they had handed me off to the man who slaughtered our alpha while I was shaking and in a daze. All I could think about was the melodic sound my mother made when she laughed, how she always had an apron on or a dish towel tossed over her shoulder. I thought about the way my dad tried to explain car stuff to me every time he changed my oil. I would nod along and hold a flashlight for him, but not be able to process anything. And Tabitha. She might've been whiny and she might've been the favorite, but we still shared so many happy moments together. I think I was the only person whose little sister would lecture them on fashion. She was incredible with hair and I'm sure that when the time was right she would step up and be the best hairdresser in the pack, maybe even farther.

Once I had finished off my cereal and rinsed the bowl out I made my choice. I was going back home to see my parents. If for no other reason than to validate that they truly didn't want me back home ever. It felt so unreal that they would just push me aside, my parents weren't the kind to do that. Sure, they were tough parents, always making sure I was growing, but they loved me, didn't they.

Just as I was about to leave I pulled out my cell phone. My finger drifted over Sebastian's contact. I knew that I should've called him, especially since I would be taking one of his cars, but I worried that hearing his voice would put me in a frenzy. True, I hadn't remembered the dream and there was no awful feeling in the pit of my stomach, but I didn't want to risk it. It was always better to be safe than sorry.

Instead, I called Keiko. When she didn't pick up I left a brief voicemail stating that I was fine, but I had had a dream. I couldn't recall it, but I would be going to my parents' for the day. If she needed me she could reach me on my cell phone.

I tugged on a pair of shorts and a tank top, then set off on the small trek to get back to the manor. I approached slowly, waiting for the intense feelings to sweep over me at the sight of something that belonged to Sebastian. I kept my wolf just on the brink, prepared to shift at any moment. But all I could feel was my own anxiety and a little bit of happiness when I saw that my flowers were doing well.

I didn't go through the house, instead went straight for the garage. I listened outside for movement, worried that I would stumble upon Sebastian anyway, but didn't hear anything through the garage door. I keyed in the pin on the pad and the door opened for me. 

Relief rolled over me when I noticed that Sebastian's sleek sport's car was gone. He must've had some business to attend to, but that just meant I was in the clear. I still didn't want to risk crossing his path though, so I would have to buy snacks and gas on the road. I snagged the keys for the ancient Nissan and hopped in the car.

The drive out to my parents' place was uneventful at best and down right boring at its worst. I turned on the radio and listened to Sebastian's alternative rock for a while but became annoyed with I didn't know any of the songs. I turned on the radio instead and belted out the lyrics to the newest pop song as I continued down the straight, empty highway, only stopping for a tank of gas and a bag of chips.

At first the ride was fine. I had missed driving since I didn't do it often now and there was a little bit of a thrill that came from driving a vehicle I wasn't familiar with, but after I was over half way there I began to develop a slight headache. Turns out the driving in a straight line for so long was so boring it was actually painful.

As I turned into my old packlands my mind began feeling murky.

"Fuck," I muttered, blinking my eyes that suddenly felt blurry. "That's the last time I leave the house without drinking a glass of water first, then pound back a bag of pure salt."

And the feeling of mentally swimming through a mud puddled only worsened when my pack members started staring at me from the street. Clearly, they hand't forgotten the vehicle I had arrived in last time. They all murmured to each other and blatantly gawked like I was a traveling circus.

But, when my parents' house came into view my foot only pushed down on the pedal harder. I sped past their driveway without blinking. Tabitha and my mother were the last thing on my mind. No, my parents weren't the reason I was here, I realized.

I was here because I needed to complete my task.

I drove through the packlands at a speed that was almost reckless. And with every second that passed my foot moved down on the pedal a little more. The pavement turned to gravel. The sidewalks vanished in favor of bared wire fences. My speed hit ninety kilometers an hour.

But, I knew this road. I knew it would end soon. I slammed on the brakes just as the stream came into view.

Yes, this would be the perfect place to end it all. This place was special to me and Caleb. It was only right that he was with me as I did this now. I shoved open the car door and swung out, landing on the gravel with thump. And as I shut the door I saw her. I really saw her. She wasn't a figment of my imagination. She wasn't a part of my dream

She was standing in the stream. The water would've been strong enough to sweep a normal human off their feet, but she was steady and able, looking like it was nothing more than a breeze in the air.  Her elegant white dress was wet up to her thighs and her vibrant red hair was swaying though there was no movement in the air.

"Are you ready to complete your task?" she asked. Her voice was gorgeous and soothing. It sounded like she was singing the perfect lullaby to settle all of my anxieties. 

My mind didn't feel so muddled anymore. I let out a happy sigh. 

"Yes."

***Important Announcement***

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you all a heads up that I will be skipping a week of updates. My next update will be coming on July 27th.

The reason for this is because I'm getting published again. The Princess and The Alpha was published in February this year and The First Queen will be coming out on the 29th of this month. I have just twelve short days to finalize everything. I love writing for all of you, but I need to take a break and invest some serious time in my future as a real author. Thank you for understanding!

Also, because I have pre-written a few chapters for Guarding His Queen I will be posting one chapter everyday from the 20th to the 27th to keep you entertained, I just won't have time to do any fresh writing.

Question of the Day: What do you remember most from your first job?

My first job was at a Wal-Mart. I remember the awful smell that only walmarts can have and my feet aching from standing all day.