hug•gy

description: Cas shows all of his favorite hugs from Dean.

note: day nine of my thirty day writing challenge! almost a third of a way done!

words: 1,565

Dean has been on a hunting trip for the past few days, staying at a motel in Indiana. He's been texting Cas almost every detail in his vampire nest hunt. Sam was with him, as he does, and Dean just sent a picture of Sam sleeping with a spoon in his mouth.

Cas softly smiled at the photo that just chimed in.

"You seem like you're in a good mood." Charlie laughed, sipping her coffee.

"Yes. Dean and I are texting."

"How sweet!" she aww'd. Charlie had shipped it since day one, and she didn't even know them until they were 'friends' for a few years. Meeting Cas, Sam had introduced him as Dean's boyfriend. She expected him to be shorter, yet she thought he was adorable.

Cas, arguably, replied that they were, in fact, not dating. Yet judging by Castiel's smile, talking about Dean, Charlie just knew. Sam knew as well. After Dean came into the room with food, Charlie could just feel the tension. And her gaydar went through the roof, as well. Dean had punched Cas softly on the arm and they had stood too close.

"I suppose so." he smiled.

Another chime and Cas was distracted again. Charlie smirked at his ever-growing grin that couldn't stop. The redhead finished her coffee and rinsed it while placing it in the sink. "He's coming back later tonight, right?"

"Yes." Cas stood up. He was sad that he couldn't have gone, but he just recently lost his wings and so therefore he was weaker. Neither Dean nor Sam had told him that, but he just knew that was the reason he couldn't go. He had his angel blade, and he knew how to fight. Cas guessed that he would just be a heavy burden on them.

Sighing, Cas went into the library to catch up on his Enochian, studying the language better. After Metatron took his grace, his angel language and sorts were then rusty. Having his grace, it was easy to read and decipher. However, after the greasy ass rat man took it away, being an angel was harder. But his studying had paid off, he started remembering how to read it and how to translate it from Enochian to English and even back. He very much so liked being an angel. Although he had grown very close to humans, and wished he had some way of becoming more close to them. Loving Dean, though, had brought him more close to anything he had ever done in his life. Kissing him, getting intimate with him, it showed him a way of humanism that no other angels could understand. He was just different.

Dean came back later that night with Sam. They looked exhausted but Dean immediately fell into the angel's arms. That was one of Cas' favorite hugs. It was what he silently liked to call, the 'I Missed You' hug. They all had dinner together that night, Chinese takeout. Arguing, Sam tried to get all three of the others on his side, trying to persuade them into making something healthy. However, there weren't any of those ingredients in the fridge and Sam's argument had lost.

Another hug that Cas adored was the behind hug as Dean tucked his head into Cas', digging into his shoulder. He called it the 'That Hurts But I Love It' hug. He used it when Cas was distracted, like cleaning or putting dishes away. Dean had done it after dinner, wrapping his arms around his waist. Cas had turned his head and kissed him on the lips when he did.

Going to bed, there was a demonstration of another hug. Dean had just changed into pajamas, and Cas was in his boxers and an old t-shirt of Dean's that fit snuggly around himself. Sam had already done his yoga and went into his bed, while Charlie had left with a dramatic goodbye, waving on the balcony where the door was, sending them all air kisses. They waved back and wished her a safe drive home. Every time Charlie had left their bunker, she had to text either Sam or Dean that she was home alive and safe. That was the hunter's way of things. It was depressing, though. However, it always kept them alert before the text, and if she didn't text it within the hour, then they could know something was wrong. She did, twenty minutes later, the usual time it took her to get home.

Dean gave him the 'Lazy Hug'. It was a soft and gentle hug that Dean normally did when he was tired and ready to go to sleep in their bed together. And in this case, it was that exact same thing again. Dean was very tired from his vampire hunt. He told Cas all the details as they laid into bed, Dean's voice slowly drifting away into a tight slumber. First, they had found a case where a whole family had died, their blood slowly drained out. There were fang marks on both of their arms and necks. However, not everybody in the family had died. The father was still left, and he suffered no injuries and soon disappeared into another town. Sam and Dean were immediately suspicious and tracked him down, only to find that he had a whole nest of fifteen vampires in there, him being the Alpha. He had killed his whole family, because he was hungry for their blood.

They managed to cure a handful of the vamps, but they had to kill the rest because they weren't willing to be cured. Thankfully, the cure for the vampires went well, and everybody who drank the anecdote survived. They had told the cured vampires to never tell anybody of what happened, and if they needed the brothers, then to call them.

"I wish I was there, Dean." the angel softly spoke, his right hand on Dean's shoulder, exactly where the scar was. Cas memorized the exact spot. It had disappeared shortly after, and the both of them missed it. It reminded them of how Cas saved Dean, and the ways he did many, many times after that.

"I know, baby." Dean muttered. "But those beds were uncomfortable. It would've been real rough if we... you know."

"That is not what I mean." he snapped back. Dean started playfully laughing as Cas softly hit him. Dean's smile faded. "I wish I could have helped you."

"Cas..." he started.

"Dean..." Cas finished.

Silence engulfed them. Bugs were outside singing their songs and crawling up against the grass, while birds sang their tune as well, delightfully eating them up and chirping away in the air. Rain slowly started pouring as well as lightning followed by rough rolls of thunder.

"Can I go with you next time, Dean?" the angel tilted his head even on his pillow.

Dean smiled again. No matter what Cas did, he made the hunter smile. "Yeah. Yeah of course you can, Cas."

The clock struck two in the morning, and Dean twisted his wrist to look at his watch. He tapped a few buttons on the side and set his alarm for him to wake up and get ready for his day. He normally needed four hours of sleep, but he knew he wouldn't have anything in the morning to do, so he decided to treat himself and set the alarm an hour later. However, Dean only had to sleep four hours if he absolutely needed to, like if he didn't have time or he wasn't that tired. So he set his alarm for two hours later than normal. Smiling, he put his arm down on his side as Cas spooned him from behind.

Although there were many, many more hugs that Castiel recognized and loved. His most cherished one, but the most rare one, was a hug that he called 'The Hurt'. 

It was rarely used, and when it was, it was filled with tears and guilt. The first time it had happened was when Cas had came back from supposedly being killed by Lucifer. He was standing by a phone booth when Dean had ran to him, practically slamming him against the booth. Hugging him so hard that it made Cas cry. He had missed his touch, and so did Dean. He missed everything about Dean. Cas, then realized, right then and there that Dean was the man he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, no matter if they got married or not, Cas would always be there for Dean.

And it was the same way the other way around. Dean's favorite was also, 'The Hurt'. And although they never talk about the hugs, and the different types and what they call them. They both knew that they cherished each hug, despite it being the 'I'll Hug You If You Give Me This' hug, or the 'Bear Hug' (one of Dean's favorites). And although they both cherished any affection toward each other, their least favorite and the most rare, was the 'Hey We're Bros, Let's Side Hug'. That was the hug they used when they were hiding their relationship, but it was only used once because everybody had caught on pretty quickly.

However, every single hug that Dean and Cas gave each other was special in every single way.