47. it will get better

s3e22: the departed

Brynley woke up to Elijah kissing her forehead, still on the couch the next morning. Bryn looked up at him before saying. "Where are you sneaking off to?"

"Niklaus is in a bit of a predicament." Elijah replied.

"Okay, I'll go with you," Brynley stood up from the couch a little too fast and her vision blacked out. Elijah quickly caught her before she could trip.

"May I remind you that you have a concussion?" Elijah said as Brynley's vision focused again. "You should stay here."

"I'd rather not, let me change and then we'll go." Brynley walked upstairs.

-

The soulmates walked up to the Gilbert house and knocked on the door. Elena opened it and allowed them to come in before Stefan and Matt walked towards them.

"Elijah, Bryn." Stefan said.

"Hello again." Elijah greeted and Brynley smiled. Elijah proceeded to explain to the Mystic Falls gang the deal he was proposing. "All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's been disarmed, the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth and Alaric will follow us."

"And you'll just run?" Stefan sat down next to Elena.

"We've done it before. Klaus and Rebekah spent the better part of a thousand years evading my father. What's another half century while Elena is able to live out the rest of her natural life?" Elijah shrugged and discreetly slipped his hand into Brynley's under the table as she remembered what they talk about earlier. Elijah promised her that if he and his siblings ran, they would make it work until Brynley graduated and would join them.

"We've finally stopped him, Elijah. After everything that he's done to us, I can't just let you bring him back." Elena shook her head.

"I give you my word, Elena. I will not revive Klaus within yours nor even within your children's lifetimes. Perhaps that will finally teach him some manners." Elijah smirked slightly.

"Why should she trust you? All you've done is screw her over." Matt spoke up.

"Matt." Brynley looked at her blonde bestfriend.

"It's alright. And for that, I am deeply ashamed. But know this, she could have been dead the instant I walked through that door tonight, so Elena, I leave it to you to make the decision whether to trust me or not." Elijah explained.

"Not! Hello? Did that concussion give you brain damage? His lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!" Damon spoke through the phone.

"Rebekah and Kol will honor the terms. If you return Klaus' body to us, Elena will come to no harm." Elijah promised. "Do we have a deal?"

"No! No, no, no, no! Did I mention no?" Damon continued to protest and Brynley rolled her eyes slightly.

"Elena, it's up to you." Stefan sighed.

"Oh, come on!"

"Why do you want Klaus' body?" Elena asked.

"He's my brother. We remain together." Elijah answered.

"We have a deal."

-

It was that night, and Brynley sat in the car next to Elijah, both of them in tears. They had just gotten word that Alaric killed Klaus, and Matt called Brynley to tell her Tyler died along with him. Brynley finally let out a sob and Elijah looked at her before he parked the car on the side of the road. As soon as he parked the car, Brynley pulled him into a hug, knowing they both needed it right now.

"I'm so sorry." Brynley mumbled, her face in Elijah's neck.

"You hated him." Elijah reminded with a slight smile and Brynley let out a shaky laugh.

"I did, but he was still your brother, and I feel guilty for some reason." Brynley explained and Elijah places a hand on her face. "And Tyler's gone, my best friend, my brother."

"I'm sorry." Elijah apologized.

"It's not your fault," Brynley said and placed her hands over her face, letting out a sob. "It just hurts, it hurts so much."

"I know," Elijah sighed and kissed her forehead. "It will get better, as cliche as that sounds.

-

Elijah and Brynley walked up to Rebekah in the woods, who was in tears.

"He's gone. There was nothing I could do to stop it." Rebekah sobbed and Elijah hugged her hand.

"I'm sorry." Brynley apologized to Rebekah and the blonde original smiled at her, pulling her into a hug.

"Tyler Lockwood is dead, but the rest survived. You said that Niklaus turned their bloodline." Elijah said

"I thought he did." Rebekah shrugged.

"It wasn't me, it wasn't Kol." Elijah replied.

"It wasn't me, Elijah. It was Niklaus, I'm sure of it." Rebekah argued.

"Then how are they still alive?" Elijah asked.

-

a/n: yeah hi so im gonna skip like most of season 4 because it's lowkey my least favorite season because it was just 22 episodes of elena complaining how she doesn't want to be a vampire and wanting the cure. im gonna do like the last few episodes before ending this book and moving onto book 2, in which we will go to the originals...yayyyyy