spiders don't have bones - peter parker

Summary: Peter finds out that spiders don't have bones.

"Dude. What the fuck."
...

Peter's day had been weird from the beginning. The night before, he'd noticed that he felt the same way as he felt after a hard training day, sore and tired (which was weird because he hadn't trained with the Avengers since last week). He shrugged it off, too lazy to care, and flopped onto his bed.

The next morning, all the pain was gone and he felt refreshed and light as a feather (literally).

He shot up and banged his head on the top bunk when he tried to get up from his bed, then groaned and rubbed his temple. Weird. Peter pushed himself up, only to overcompensate and trip on his own feet and fall over. Oh my god, what was happening? He hadn't felt this way since he'd first gotten his powers.

Pulling himself up easily, he went about his day, tripping and stumbling often. When he tried to put his shoes on, he bent easily in half, which freaked him out. If there was one thing Peter was not, it was flexible. Usually he could barely touch his toes.

He tried bending again, and went so far that he scared himself and fell over. When he looked up in his position, his calf was bent sideways. Peter nearly screamed at his apparently broken leg, waiting for the inevitable pain to hit. Strangely, though, he felt fine. He tentatively picked his leg up, and the calf slid back into its place like a slinky. Peter's eyes were comically wide, and he started hyperventilating.

"What the fuck. What the fuck. Oh my god. What the fuck."

One strange google search history later ("is it normal for your leg to go sideways and back?") Peter found the answer to his horrifying discovery.

Spiders don't actually have bones, they have a hard exoskeleton that they occasionally need to molt. Peter squinted at the screen and poked his arm. His skin didn't feel any harder. Did he still have an exoskeleton? How did he not fall into a heap of muscle and organs? He decided to keep the questions for Bruce after school, and try and have a somewhat normal day at school. He picked up his backpack, took a deep breath, and walked out.
...

School was.. tedious, at best. Peter's skin was incredible itchy, and it was getting red and sore from him scratching it all the time. His headache grew worse throughout the day, and he felt like he had a bad sunburn.
This affected his mood, and he was grouchy all day. Even Ms. Grant in his third period class didn't pick on him, and she hated Peter.

The bell rang, and the other students scurried out of class while he laid his head on his desk, groaning.

Peter scratched the back of his neck, wincing. His skin was becoming increasingly itchy and irritated.

"Dude, are you okay?" Ned asked him. "Your skin is all red."

MJ poked him, and her face contorted. "Dude, you need moisturizer."

"What?"

"Your skin is super hard and scratchy. And you're burning up- Peter, are you okay?"

Peter looked around, then pressed his lips into a thin line. "Lunch. Chem lab."
...

"So... you have no bones?"

Peter nodded. "It's part of the whole half-spider deal. I was a little freaked out at first, but I've gotten used to it. See, I can even do this—" He bent his leg towards his torso, completely backwards. Ned's jaw dropped.

"Dude. What the fuck. Are you okay? MJ, is he okay?"

MJ's brows were drawn together. "Peter, if you have an exoskeleton, that means that you'll have to molt at somepoint."