Chapter 9: The Hidden Hiding Place

"Shaye, wake up!" There was a loud banging on the dormitory door. Shaye startled awake and could hear Harry and Ron shouting for her. Thankfully, she was the only girl in her dormitory who had stayed at Hogwarts for the holidays, so no one else was being woken up by this ruckus.

Jumping out of bed, afraid that something terrible had happened while Harry had been using his invisibility cloak in the library's restricted section, she threw the dormitory door open to find out what was going on.

"There's something you've got to see." Harry seemed in a panic as he started down the steps into the common room. "The both of you! Come on!"

Ron, who seemed just as groggy and confused as Shaye was, led the way after Harry. Together, the three huddled underneath the invisibility cloak and Harry took them out of the common room, down the hall, up a flight of steps, and into a different room that Shaye had never been inside before.

As soon as the door was closed, Harry ripped off the cloak. They were in what looked like an unused classroom with desks and chairs piled against the walls. In the middle of the room sat a large mirror, which seemed to be the focus of Harry's sudden enthusiasm.

"Come look, it's my parents." Harry rushed to stand in front of the mirror, but Shaye didn't see what Harry was talking about. Standing beside Harry and Ron, the only thing staring back at her in the reflection was the three of them.

"I only see us," Ron said.

"Look in properly." Harry stood to the side, pulling Shaye with him so that Ron was the only one in front of the mirror. "Go on, stand there."

Once Ron was alone in front of the mirror, his eyes widened and his mouth fell open. Clearly, he was seeing something that he had not been able to before. 

"There." Harry smiled. "You see them, don't you?"

"Is it really Harry's parents?" Shaye tried to get a peak, but from where she was standing, she only saw Ron in the reflection.

"That's me!" Ron exclaimed, seeing something different than Harry had. "Only I'm head boy. And I'm holding the Quidditch Cup. And bloody hell! I'm Quidditch Captain too! I look good. Do you think this mirror shows the future?"

Harry sighed and shook his head. "How can it? Both my parents are dead."

"Let me see." Shaye pushed Ron out of the way and took a turn in front of the mirror. Instantly, she saw what she had been most hoping to see. Standing beside her was Lorelei, only, the two were separated somehow. There seemed to be a barrier between them. 

Shaye wasn't sure what it meant. Why did this mirror show something different to each user? What did it mean?

After a while longer of looking, the three slipped back under the cloak and returned to their common room. Ron was over the moon about what he had seen in the mirror's reflection but Harry and Shaye were more confused than anything. 

 ═══════════════

Walking into the Great Hall the next morning for breakfast, her head swirling with the image of her and her sister that she had seen in the mirror, Shaye spotted Harry sitting alone in front of the large fireplace and decided to join him. 

On her way, she passed by Ron and the other Weasleys, who were all sitting together dawning the same brown knitted sweater with their initial on the front. As if their flaming red hair didn't make it obvious that they were all family, this just completed the Christmas package.

"Good morning, Ron." Shaye greeted as she walked past the table. 

"Good morning, Ron's friend," the twins greeted in unison.